Thread: Shooting a 1852 Joslyn

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Shooting a 1862 Joslyn

For those that are shooting a Joslyn carbine, what are you using for cases. Did you buy cases from RCC brass? Do you make your own from .50-70 or 56-50 Spencer? Did you convert from rimfire to centerfire?

Thanks In Advance

Lost
    Last edited by Lostinidaho; 10-16-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Team:
    Washington Blue Rifles
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    For those that are shooting a Joslyn carbine, what are you using for cases. Did you buy cases from RCC brass? Do you make your own from .50-70 or 56-50 Spencer? Did you convert from rimfire to centerfire?

Thanks In Advance

Lost
    I have never seen one on the line.

How do they shoot?

DPB
    David P. Baldwin

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I understand they shoot well. See a few for sale but they are a rim fire. Just wondering what people do to make them operational.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The gun will shoot with 56-50 cases modified to rimfire, but will also require a permanent modification to the breech closure and firing pin. The original pin will just clip the rim and will not hit the .22 case. I found a breech piece to replace the original and modified it to work, which it does just fine. I use an Accurate Moulds 56-450S. I am going to try to find somebody to convert it centerfire, or do it myself. Cases come from Rocky Mountain Cartridge without the centerfire primer cup.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks Richard,

That's too bad about the firing pin not hitting the .22 primer. I am assuming the firing pin is striking the very outside of the rim of the case and that the .22 primer is not or can be located far enough out to be hit consistently or at all.

How hard was it to find an extra breech block? I am assuming difficult. I don't see many parts for the Josyln.

I have wondered on the larger cases which people have put in a .22 primer in...why not machine in a primer cup?

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    Thanks Richard,

That's too bad about the firing pin not hitting the .22 primer. I am assuming the firing pin is striking the very outside of the rim of the case and that the .22 primer is not or can be located far enough out to be hit consistently or at all.

How hard was it to find an extra breech block? I am assuming difficult. I don't see many parts for the Josyln.

I have wondered on the larger cases which people have put in a .22 primer in...why not machine in a primer cup?
    A .22 blank has the primer compound in the rim. A center fire primer has the primer compound in the center and you can't physically get it close enough to the rim for a rimfire firing pin to strike.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You might want to try a 22 primed case before giving up. A friend had a '62 Joslyn carbine that would fire them. Most won't though. My Springfield Joslyn rifle won't fire them either. I did machine some 50-70 cases to take just the cut off head of a 22 blank right out at the edge of the rim. They work reliably, but it is a LOT OF WORK, and you need a milling machine to maintain the tolerances required. Also, you will set off about 1 in 10 blanks when you cut of the heads.

I have shot that rifle in BL II, and it keeps up with the Sharps rifles with no problem. Groups off a bench are about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards.
    Last edited by Carolina Reb; 10-19-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I wish that the news was better on a Joslyn carbine and its shoot-ablity or its prospects of shoot-ability.

I like the odd carbines, but a non-shooter is no fun, at least for me. But I don't like to alter a carbine too much to make it shoot-able.

I am up for hearing advice or sugestions