Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

What model Enfield is this?

Hi all,

First post.
    I hope you can help with a few questions on my latest purchase.

I have been after a good Enfield for a while, but it?s pretty hard to find one with a decent bore.
    Anyhow, this one came along that ticks all the boxes, a two bander made by F T Baker London.
    I am not sure however where this rifle fits in the scheme of things, I?m picking it?s a model 56 in volunteer pattern (33 inch barrel)?
    I cannot seem to find a web site anywhere that lists the various models in some sort of order with distinguishing features.
    This one has five groove rifling (I assume 1/48 but have not as yet checked) which the P56 should not have.
    It also has a hooked breech which I have not seen on an Enfield before, the breech plug and Tang are normally one piece.
    Attached are various photos, anyone pick the lock maker? looks like turner.
    Barrel maker is John Clive ,it also has W.S. but any info on the other markings would be appreciated along with confirmation of which model it is.
    I have attached a repro sling from a P53,would this still be correct on this rifle?

Thanks,

GDU

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I just tried going into the sites above, from this forum. The long range site opened but the other two didn't. ??? I'm too technically challenged to understand why.
    Anyway, if you bing or google researchpress.co.uk and britsh militaria forum you can enter from there. Check them out.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    Have you gotten your hands on a copy of, The British Soldier's Firearms; from Smoothbore to Smallbore 1850 through 1864, by Dr. C.H. Roads? He may be able to provide measurements that match up to yours.

Would it be possible to post full length pictures to compare?
    Mark Krausz
    Co. B 36th Illinois Inf.
    Agent Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I?ve seen a similar Enfield, they were literally trophies awarded to winners of 19th Century muzzle loader matches in England.

Your Rifle MAY be worth a GREAT deal, as these trophy rifles were TRICKED OUT Enfields given to skilled shooters.

The sterling silver plate shows the name of the recipient, and if so moved, YOU can do some research on the individual, thus enhancing the value of the subject piece even more!

Congrats on a VERY nice rifle! Typically these Enfields were in .45 vice .577, if memory serves right.

If you want more insight, let me know and I can try to act as an intermediary with my friend who knows quite a bit about these wonderful rifles.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Enfield

Check your pm's

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks for the replies.
    Yes the plate is worthy of future research for sure.
    I've attached full length pic as well.
    One thing I have noticed, it's tighter for the first three or four inches at the muzzle than the rest of the bore.
    I have made up some minies 1 thou or so under bore size, looking forward to shooting them.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    A very nice presentation rifle! One would wonder why it was given to their Sgt.? Perhaps one of the researchers in England would be able to assist you, such as David Minshall, who runs "Research Press", as mentioned above. It is one of the very good internet sites. It is also interesting to see that this has been a current International Match Rifle, too. To bad you didn't get any of the shooting information with it. I would suggest shooting it with the projectile for which it was intended, the paper patched Pritchett bullet with base plug. Just my thoughts on it!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Prize rifles such as this rifle were given as prizes in the lower county or district level meets (matches) which held competitions with Long Enfields, short rifles, even carbines such as the Royal Artillery musketoons. Many of the regimental prize rifles were awarded to the winners of local matches because it was a way for men without the means to afford to buy a good rifle could acquire one above their station in life. This afforded the winners with a rifle they could then use in the annual meeting at Wimbledon. The Musketry School at Hythe was the leading advocate for the adoption of the faster 5-groove 1:48 spiral rifling, and many Volunteer rifles like the one you have carried that rifling versus the regulation pattern per say for the Pattern 1856. It was not uncommon for some prize winners to win more than one rifle over their career, like one shooter who attended Hythe in 1862 won three Whitworth prize rifles in the Wimbledon matches in 1862, 1863 and 1864. The last prize rifle was one of the short Whitworth rifles used in the Queen's match in 1864 and was marked "2nd Quality". The young winner much protested his prize because it was not of the "1st quality" of his previous two prize rifles.

You might find mention of that particular match in the London Illustrated Times which carried the news of the Volunteer Rifle movement in virtually every issue.
    Last edited by R. McAuley 3014V; 10-20-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Interesting info, thanks.
    Is this a prize rifle however?
    There's no mention on the plaque as to having won anything, rather given to a sergeant from his men.
    However I'm not familiar with how these things worked back then, perhaps this was normal.

It was indeed a recent (relatively) international MLIAC rifle, now deceased estate so unfortunately no load data.
    I do have the shooters name, I wonder if its possible to find out if he won anything with it.

It may well be worth researching Sargent Deaves, not sure where to start on that one.