Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanity check please

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Sanity check please

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Preparing to join, and confirming what repro rifles I have quality based on the Approved roster and I have a few questions. I currently have 4 different rifles, 3 of which I would likely use. I have a:
    1853 Enfield made by Euro-arms (London Armory Co lock-plate)
    1864 Springfield (Navy Arms Lockplate)
    1863 Remington "Zouave" Antonio Zoli (Navy Arms lock-plate)
    1861 Springfield Armisport

First question. On the 1853, 1864, and Zouave I have tall front sights soldered in the same spot the original sights were at on these guns. Does this require SAC card approval? These sights were purchased from sutlers row during the Fall nationals.

Second question. Do these all Compete in the same category? I ask because the Zouave is listed under 1. Rifle, while the others fall under 2. Rifled Muskets. I am reading through the rulebook right now as well but figured I'd come to the experts

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Welcome aboard! All your guns are in the same class.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Someone from the IG department will jump in on the inspection question. All of the arms you mention shoot in the Musket event (which is muzzle loading muskets and rifles). You may want to trade off a couple of those for arms in other classes, such as a carbine (Smith, Sharps, Richmond, etc.) and a smoothbore (M-1816 or M1842 musket). That way you could shoot three different events. At nationals, it would be Smoothbore on Friday, Carbine Saturday and Musket Sunday.

Welcome aboard!

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Reb View Post
    Someone from the IG department will jump in on the inspection question. All of the arms you mention shoot in the Musket event (which is muzzle loading muskets and rifles). You may want to trade off a couple of those for arms in other classes, such as a carbine (Smith, Sharps, Richmond, etc.) and a smoothbore (M-1816 or M1842 musket). That way you could shoot three different events. At nationals, it would be Smoothbore on Friday, Carbine Saturday and Musket Sunday.

Welcome aboard!
    Thanks, Im hoping to pick up a smoothbore in the future. Ive got a Armisport 1863 Sharps "Sporting rifle" that I might get have Lodgewood convert to a Carbine (which I understand would require a SAC card) to be able to cover down on Carbine. Obviously this will be in the future

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Of the four long arms that you have, I would concentrate on the 1864 Springfield and the 1863 Remington Zouave. Generally, these two have the best barrels from the factory. Many folks prefer the shorter rifle as opposed to the 3 band rifle musket. My first skirmish gun was a Zoli Zouave. With its favorite load, it would shoot a 3 shot cloverleaf group that measured 1". This was from the bench at 50 yards.

Of course, use the one that fits you the best and that you shoot the best. Welcome aboard and good shooting!
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by noonanda View Post
    Thanks, Im hoping to pick up a smoothbore in the future. Ive got a Armisport 1863 Sharps "Sporting rifle" that I might get have Lodgewood convert to a Carbine (which I understand would require a SAC card) to be able to cover down on Carbine. Obviously this will be in the future
    If the Sporting Rifle is checkered, that might make the conversion too pricey. Also, don't forget to contact Larry Flees to have a gas check job done so you can shoot it all day long. Might be cheaper in the long run to horse trade for a skirmish ready carbine.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Region:

sharps and front sight

We don't allow checkering on the Sharps. You could fill the checkering in with wood putty or replace the wood with the correct military type. You may also need a patch box and different sights depending on model. It may be better to just buy one that conforms to our rules.
    The front sight base must be the same size and position as the original. The leaf can be as wide as the base or narrower and as tall as you want. The leaf itself can't extend beyond the envelope of the sight base. Leafs can't be like you typically see on Kentucky rifles.
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Don't be quick to dismiss the "Zouave". They can be very good guns if you take time to do load development.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorJack View Post
    Don't be quick to dismiss the "Zouave". They can be very good guns if you take time to do load development.
    And replace the barrel, lock, trigger...

A Zouave is usually a cheaply made gun that has an oversized barrel, soft internal lock parts and a bad trigger. An experienced skirmisher can make one work for a while, but it will fail you in the long run.

Do yourself a favor and start with good equipment. Not expensive, custom made guns, but more middle of the road. Too many people get discouraged because their budget put them at a disadvantage. You can't buy your way into the ten ring but you can't slop every shot in there either.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    11873V
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by bobanderson View Post
    And replace the barrel, lock, trigger...

A Zouave is usually a cheaply made gun that has an oversized barrel, soft internal lock parts and a bad trigger. An experienced skirmisher can make one work for a while, but it will fail you in the long run.

Do yourself a favor and start with good equipment. Not expensive, custom made guns, but more middle of the road. Too many people get discouraged because their budget put them at a disadvantage. You can't buy your way into the ten ring but you can't slop every shot in there either.
    Funny. You say Zouave as in one gun, there are many makers of that gun or were at one time. Yes some better than others. But to say Zouave like you did is like saying springfield or enfield.

That said I have shot Zouave from the start. First a zoli now Euro arms. Never failed me.

Yet about every enfield or springfield I have had has failed me, also Remington and R&S.

Would maybe be better to list the brand not just the type if you have had them fail.

If you replace the Barrel, lock and trigger you have a custom gun that will cost you some coin. Is it worth that for a piece 50 cent pot metal
    Last edited by MR. GADGET; 10-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...