Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: A idea that might improve our skirmishing experience

  1. #1
    John Bly is offline
    Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    Member
    5109V
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stephens City, VA
    Posts
    538
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

    A idea that might improve our skirmishing experience

    Here's an idea that may work to make skirmishing a better experience for many.

    Cut musket teams to 7 persons with 4 as minimum for a legal skirmish.
    Shoot a 21 pigeon board and 14 tiles, hanging pigeons and pots and 9 tiles at 100 yards.

    This would bring the pigeon board time for the winning teams back down to around 100 seconds like it was when we were younger and lots more teams would finish the board. It would make it easier for teams with fewer members to field a team or even a B team.

    Fire away! If more than a few people think it will work I'll submit it to my team commander to submit to the regional commander to take to the Jan board meeting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    20
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Eight men is still a good number team events and if shooters get 4 hits in 6 shoots boards clear in 100 seconds. Same ratio as 7 shooters. Let's not shoot less targets. If time is what your worried about let's try 6 inch Clay's. Or more pratice.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    warnerl1 is offline
    Team:
    6th Pennsylvania Cavalry
    Member
    12926
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    18
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    John,
    How many people do you know of who have quit skirmishing because they didn't clear the pigeon board?

    Lynn

  4. #4
    rgsheppard is offline
    Team:
    Company C, 2nd United States Sharpshooters
    Member
    13370
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    55
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    Here's an idea that may work to make skirmishing a better experience for many.

    Cut musket teams to 7 persons with 4 as minimum for a legal skirmish.
    Shoot a 21 pigeon board and 14 tiles, hanging pigeons and pots and 9 tiles at 100 yards.

    This would bring the pigeon board time for the winning teams back down to around 100 seconds like it was when we were younger and lots more teams would finish the board. It would make it easier for teams with fewer members to field a team or even a B team.

    Fire away! If more than a few people think it will work I'll submit it to my team commander to submit to the regional commander to take to the Jan board meeting.

    John -

    I can barely see the pots through my sights at 50 yards let alone 100 yards !
    R. GARY SHEPPARD
    Adjutant

    Co C, 2nd US Sharpshooters


  5. #5
    MR. GADGET's Avatar
    MR. GADGET is offline Moderator
    Team:
    Rowan Artillery
    Member
    11873V
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    1,309
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerl1 View Post
    John,
    How many people do you know of who have quit skirmishing because they didn't clear the pigeon board?

    Lynn
    For this just look at the number of failed teams. They could not keep numbers u0 enough there for no shooters so they are not and do not have a chance to clear the board.

    If I remember rules changed for the required team event. Some shoot a carbine or artillery to meet the goal.
    We were talking about starting to skip sunday shooting at nationals because shooting short all the time and long drve to work sunday.

    We have not had enough people or good shooters to clear the board for some time. We are not going to quit shooting as you said but will stop wasting ammo on sunday and shoot more artillery or other events.
    MR. GADGET
    NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    Rowan Artillery


    Just remember!
    When a pot needs stirring, someone needs to do it...

  6. #6
    Lou Lou Lou is offline
    Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Member
    4869
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lung Island, New Yawk
    Posts
    1,508
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Forgive me if I misspeak. The numbers aren?t adding up for me. A 100 second clay board computes to 25 second hit time for the whole team @8 person. That is 2.4 hits per minute. Impossible. Working backwards a 75 second team hit time clears the board in 300 seconds. Assume the avg team leaves 11 pigeons, then the avg hit time is 100 seconds or about half a hit per minute. We can?t manipulate the parameters enough to make all the teams competitive. Just my 0.02
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

  7. #7
    Greg Ogdan 110th OVI is offline
    Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Member
    11444V
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    179
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Lou well said.

  8. #8
    John Bly is offline
    Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    Member
    5109V
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Stephens City, VA
    Posts
    538
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I do believe the record time on the pigeon board is 99.? seconds for a 32 pigeon board by the Washington Blues in their prime. We once shot a board in 101.? seconds and the timer refused to sign off on it because he said it was impossible and the watch had to be wrong. We were dumb and did not have a back up watch. We protested and shot it again in 110 seconds. Oh yes, it's possible.

    It's not about time or cost but about the 70-75% of skirmishers who aren't what they used to be. I worked the tower at Nat'ls and on the 2nd relay on Sunday morning it was a pitiful sight with all the pigeons not hit. Up there you can see a lot more than on the ground. 1st relay was much better and you could tell one team was ahead of another and then a 3rd team would catch up and it was good to watch.

    I looked back at the 130th Nat'ls and there were 206 teams and 52 finished the pigeon board, so not much has changed in 5 years. There were 51 B teams and 8 C teams then. 159 teams shot the 140th Nat'l. That's 47 fewer teams in 5 years, a 23% drop.

  9. #9
    Greg Ogdan 110th OVI is offline
    Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Member
    11444V
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    179
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    OK, as I think about this, each member needs to hit 4 targets in 5 minutes. that's an average of 1 target every 75 seconds. the thing is, we have many Skirmishers who only get a shot off every 60 seconds or so. No way can these people expect to clear the board. Think I'm wrong? Sometime watch some of the slower teams. Let's see, shoot, ease the musket down, fumble for a cartridge, dump powder and tap tube 5 or 6 times, slowly place tube in mucket on cartridge belt, start bullet and ram on 6 strokes because gun hasn't been cleaned since last Nationals, bang rammer on bullet 5 times, remove rammer ant place in the barrel hole of the bayonet' shoulder gun and hold on target for at lease 15 seconds insuring a miss. you may laugh, but just hide and watch.

    I'm not "casting shade" on these folks. In fact I'm certain they are having as much fun as I am. The point is shooting like that, you cannot expect to clear the board. If an 8 man team expects to clear the board and each shooter only hits half of his shots, then each shooter must get a shot off every 37 seconds or so. many of us don't do that for whatever reason. That doesn't necessarily mean that we need to reduce the number of targets. Maybe some training would be in order on how to more efficiently reload the guns so we could get more shots off. Just my thoughts and I probably have said too much.

  10. #10
    jonk is offline
    Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Member
    12999
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,090
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ogdan 110th OVI View Post
    OK, as I think about this, each member needs to hit 4 targets in 5 minutes. that's an average of 1 target every 75 seconds. the thing is, we have many Skirmishers who only get a shot off every 60 seconds or so. No way can these people expect to clear the board. Think I'm wrong? Sometime watch some of the slower teams. Let's see, shoot, ease the musket down, fumble for a cartridge, dump powder and tap tube 5 or 6 times, slowly place tube in mucket on cartridge belt, start bullet and ram on 6 strokes because gun hasn't been cleaned since last Nationals, bang rammer on bullet 5 times, remove rammer ant place in the barrel hole of the bayonet' shoulder gun and hold on target for at lease 15 seconds insuring a miss. you may laugh, but just hide and watch.

    I'm not "casting shade" on these folks. In fact I'm certain they are having as much fun as I am. The point is shooting like that, you cannot expect to clear the board. If an 8 man team expects to clear the board and each shooter only hits half of his shots, then each shooter must get a shot off every 37 seconds or so. many of us don't do that for whatever reason. That doesn't necessarily mean that we need to reduce the number of targets. Maybe some training would be in order on how to more efficiently reload the guns so we could get more shots off. Just my thoughts and I probably have said too much.
    some of it is due to incorrect bullet lube too, hard lead, under or overzed bullets....if guys don't care to address tbese issues, speed aside, they will miss a lot and not finish the board. If they are ok with that and conducting themselves in a safe manner fine.

    I run about 12 to 13 shots in 5 minutes. I could do 15 but i feel rushed if i do and miss more. But I don't see that the good teams should cater to the bad ones just so they MIGHT finish a board.

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
    By bobanderson in forum Around the Campfire
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2016, 03:00 PM
  2. Recruitment Idea
    By Eggman in forum Around the Campfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
  3. Idea for Visitors
    By Michael Bodner in forum Base of tower
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •