Thread: 140th National, Wrong Gauge Wire

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

140th National, Wrong Gauge Wire

Since we are discussing the 140th National, and observations thereof, lets discuss the gauge of the majority of the wires which were provided for hanging the targets. The gauge we have been using is about 14 Ga. (actual diameter 0.062), with the new delivery of wire coming in at about 12 Ga. (actual diameter 0.078). Hanging the Tiles was tough, but able to be done. The Hanging Birds, were much more difficult with a few breaking along the way. BUT.....the Pots were nearly impossible! My team broke the top holed section of the Pot off 3 times on Carbine and 3 times for Musket just assembling them. And that was with being as careful as possible knowing that the wire was too stiff and the Pots were fragile. While hanging the Pots on Sunday we broke 2 more at the 50 yard line just trying to straighten them. We then discovered that the sub-stations had already handed out all of the spare Pots they had been issued because of the high rate of breakage. All of which was due to the heavier gauge wire.

I made an attempt later on after the Musket Team Match to find out why we had such heavy gauge wire. The answer I received was that although the delivery of wires was marked "14 Ga.", once the shipment was opened they were discovered to be 12 Ga. The wires are ordered pre-cut to our specified size, so I rather doubt that returning them was much of an option.

It would be interesting to know how many Pots were broken in assembly and hanging before a shot was ever fired! If I recall correctly, the Pots are the most individually expensive target purchased by the N-SSA.

John Holland, Skirmisher

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Large Gauge Wire and Pots

Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Since we are discussing the 140th National, and observations thereof, lets discuss the gauge of the majority of the wires which were provided for hanging the targets. The gauge we have been using is about 14 Ga. (actual diameter 0.062), with the new delivery of wire coming in at about 12 Ga. (actual diameter 0.07. Hanging the Tiles was tough, but able to be done. The Hanging Birds, were much more difficult with a few breaking along the way. BUT.....the Pots were nearly impossible! My team broke the top holed section of the Pot off 3 times on Carbine and 3 times for Musket just assembling them. And that was with being as careful as possible knowing that the wire was too stiff and the Pots were fragile. While hanging the Pots on Sunday we broke 2 more at the 50 yard line just trying to straighten them. We then discovered that the sub-stations had already handed out all of the spare Pots they had been issued because of the high rate of breakage. All of which was due to the heavier gauge wire.

I made an attempt later on after the Musket Team Match to find out why we had such heavy gauge wire. The answer I received was that although the delivery of wires was marked "14 Ga.", once the shipment was opened they were discovered to be 12 Ga. The wires are ordered pre-cut to our specified size, so I rather doubt that returning them was much of an option.

It would be interesting to know how many Pots were broken in assembly and hanging before a shot was ever fired! If I recall correctly, the Pots are the most individually expensive target purchased by the N-SSA.

John Holland, Skirmisher
    John,
    We broke no pots with the new wire. Actually, I rather liked it as it was more sturdy in the wind. If you tried wrapping the wired around the pot, you probably broke it. If you threaded the wire through the hole, down the back, and then just bent it over the bottom it held well and kept the pot from moving, or breaking. I had no trouble with pigeons either. Just my comment.

Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    no problems with hanging the pots it took a minute to figure it out but it worked and no broken pots or clays. not a problem. (all team events except revolver)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I see the method you have described as being improperly hung as per the Rules.

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    After breaking one I started pre-bending the wire before feeding them through the hole. No more breaks.

Region:
    I used my Zippo in the ready area to heat the wire before trying to bend it around the fragile targets.

Worked pretty well! No broken targets and only singed my fingertips twice.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    WBR
    Col, USMC (Ret.) '87 - '19

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    We didn't break any.

If this heavier wire sticks around for some reason, and even if it doesn't... we shot a skirmish in the MW with real flower pots this year. Not silhouettes. I was told that they were cheaper than the plaster NSSA outlines now, though still more expensive than the cheaper non logo ones a lot of the regions use.

Just something to consider. If there is a cheap source for real pots out there, I mean real flower pots, I don't see those breaking as easy. Though painting them all would be a pain... toss one can of paint in per position. 97 cents at wal mart.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob FreemanWBR View Post
    I used my Zippo in the ready area to heat the wire before trying to bend it around the fragile targets.

Worked pretty well! No broken targets and only singed my fingertips twice.
    Assuming that you didn?t mean to say that you were using an open flame in the ?Ready Area?. That would be against the rules and a severe safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    Assuming that you didn?t mean to say that you were using an open flame in the ?Ready Area?. That would be against the rules and a severe safety issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Paul, my previous thread was completely in JEST...

Just wanted to see if anybody reads these threads closely and would take note.
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    WBR
    Col, USMC (Ret.) '87 - '19

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    6th Pennsylvania Cavalry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    I see the method you have described as being improperly hung as per the Rules.
    The Rules also state the type of wire to be used, so let's call it a wash.