Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N-SSA Membership - Nationals Survey 2019

lmcmahon is online now Administrator
    Team:
    Nansemond Guards
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    You have your competitor number listed on top left corner of your posts, 13563.
    Linwood McMahon
    Nansemond Guards

Webmaster & Forum Admin Manager

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by jrexrode View Post
    Based on the January Board Report from last year there are 236 members under 30...

We posted fliers, announced the survey at the membership meeting at Nationals, on Facebook, on this bulletin board, and emailed team commanders.

We can hypothesize reasons why people have not seen these announcements, but perhaps the best approach would be for members to reach out to their teammates and see if they have taken the time to complete the survey.

If individuals decide not to respond after those contacts, then their lack of response is telling and in itself a response.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Only 236 members are under 30 out of how many? Let that one sink in.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Jack,

Just look at the firing line at any skirmish, anywhere. It's overwhelmingly us old gray haired coots. Kind of scary. I assume this survey will show the average age of our membership.

Barry S.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The number of 236 would be about 8% of the entire membership.

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    The number of 236 would be about 8% of the entire membership.
    Yeah getting the under 30 crowd from a recruiting aspect is a real challenge. Some of the reasons for that are:
    1) It's not easy. Let's face it what we do isn't for everyone and we need to keep that in mind. There are no real "cheat codes" with this activity.
    2) Kids (I use that term for anyone under 35) have so many entertainment options out there that don't require the level of effort our endeavor does and let's be honest here a lot (not all) of the under 30 crowd can be really "unmotivated".
    3) Cost. Pretty much explains itself there. No matter how we pare it down this ain't ever really cheap.
    4) Not "Tacticool". Back to we don't appeal to everyone kind of thing. Let's face it what we do isn't all that "sexy" from the modern societal aspect, so you have to search for the young ones with some appreciation of history.
    5) PC Controversial at the moment. A lot of younger people have been filled with all kinds of crap about the era we "portray" and working against that bias is challenging.
    6) Guns. More controversy there and a hot button for a lot of the ignorant.
    7) The age of our membership works against us. Young folks generally want to hang out with young folks. Finding the exceptions is a challenge. Once you find them you have to kind of put them out front in the recruiting effort if you can AND you have to show some tolerance when you get them. Young people will be young people remember?
    8) Requires a lot of craftsmanship on an individuals part. Most young people now days are not all that accustomed to working with their hands (except for phones) and don't really have an appreciation for the satisfaction of it. The learning curve here can be steep indeed. You tube is great as a basic primer but you have to actually do it to become proficient at the Art of it.

There's more to it of course (there always is) but this gives you a basic idea of what I have found out there. Keep this in mind in your recruiting efforts... What we do will never have "Mass Appeal"... accept it, and don't push hard on folks to try to change their minds. If someone is only half-hearted in their interest move on to the next one. Don't waste your time trying to convince them, give them the opportunity and resources to see and research it for themselves and if they develop a real interest work with them then. The ones who are truly interested will let it be known.

PapaRob
    Last edited by PapaRob; 10-23-2019 at 03:18 PM.
    R. Harrison
    Commander
    48th Virginia Infantry
    "Mountain Boomers"
    PSALMS 144 1-9

lmcmahon is online now Administrator
    Team:
    Nansemond Guards
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Thank you! I believe you have explained the hardships we encounter in trying to recruit new members, especially the younger ones.

Linwood
    Linwood McMahon
    Nansemond Guards

Webmaster & Forum Admin Manager

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The other headaches I see:

1. The Nationals schedule is not friendly to younger Skirmishers, especially those with school-age kids.
    2. In the National Capital area, everything is at Fort Shenandoah...which is a 2-3 hour drive away. Not good for recruiting. I've said it before, we need Recruiting Skirmishes that travel to the local clubs.
    3. Too many Skirmishers take no responsibility whatsoever for trying to recruit. Won't lift a finger.
    Last edited by Mike McDaniel; 10-23-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel View Post
    The other headaches I see:

1. The Nationals schedule is not friendly to younger Skirmishers, especially those with school-age kids.
    2. In the National Capital area, everything is at Fort Shenandoah...which is a 2-3 hour drive away. Not good for recruiting. I've said it before, we need Recruiting Skirmishes that travel to the local clubs.
    3. Too many Skirmishers take no responsibility whatsoever for trying to recruit. Won't lift a finger.
    Well said.

Especially #3.
    R. Harrison
    Commander
    48th Virginia Infantry
    "Mountain Boomers"
    PSALMS 144 1-9

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Amen PapaRob and Rev. Mike.

Now if the congregation will just take heed.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Since we are discussing the age "30-ish" generation, I have another observation. I live in a large city where we have thousands of "young people", whom I will describe as age 30-ish and under, who absolutely refuse to get a license to operate a motor vehicle! They are content to have others deliver them wherever it is they want to go. That includes their parents who are only too willing to be a part of the problem.....and why not, the "kids" are still living at home anyway! With the advent of Uber, Lyft, etc., it has only become worse.