Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bullet are you using in your original Gallagher?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

What bullet are you using in your original Gallagher?

Hi all, I just picked up an original Gallagher carbine. I haven't been able to find an original style hollow based bullet mould anywhere. What type bullet and mould are you using. It seems that the ones listed for Gallagher's are shorter than the original and have solid basses that are heeled.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I guess no one is shooting an original Gallagher.

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    5766V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

What I have used

I found that the Rapine "Smith Bullet" will shoot better than I could hold. It molds about .518" and I size and lube to .516". I was loading about 28grs. 2F with a COW filler. Do not compress the load with too much filler. I opened the hole on the back of the brass cartridge to .0625" and found the 2F stayed in the cartridge better than 3F and shot just as well. My problem with the Gallagher is my eyes would like the rear sight located farther forward, or maybe it's just age!

Good Luck!
    Jim

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks Jim,
    Are you shooting an original or a reproduction? The original Gallagher bullet was hollow based and around .540 . My Original Gallagher grove diameter mic's out at .538 . I slugged it using a 56-56 Spencer bullet and it filled the groves and didn't take much effort to push down the bore .

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor

Gallagher

Quote Originally Posted by mgmradio View Post
    Thanks Jim,
    Are you shooting an original or a reproduction? The original Gallagher bullet was hollow based and around .540 . My Original Gallagher grove diameter mic's out at .538 . I slugged it using a 56-56 Spencer bullet and it filled the groves and didn't take much effort to push down the bore .
    If Jim is shooting a Erma repro it's relined, as is mine. I use a similar bullet from a Lee .518 mould from Lodgewood. I size it to .517 for my .515 groove.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks for the replies.
    The relined ones are set up to use a Smith style bullet in the .518 range.
    My original has a grove diameter of .538 . The original style in the brass cartridge, measure between .532 a .538 depending on the version. These are 3 ring with a dish or hollow base. The later Poultney patent foil and paper cartridges used a Smith style bullet with a diameter of .520 . I suspect that this is one of the reasons these guns were considered inaccurate.
    I ran a .520 Smith bullet down the bore and it barely engraved the bands , so that's going to be a no on using them.
    I received my brass from S&S today and loaded a dummy round with a healed 56-56 Spencer bullet with a center band diameter of .540. It fits into the case snugly with thumb pressure.
    It will chamber with a little pressure, but not excessive. About 3/16" of the bulletjust in front of the mouth of the case engraves the rifling. So the shape of the bullet is off. I went ahead and loaded up 11 rounds to try tomorrow to se how they shoot. I'll probably have to have a mould made and have the cartridges modified as they are very thick and have a seating ridge only about a 1/4" into the case.
    Eggman,
    Thanks for the offer, I'd love to have the cartridge. Is it the brass or the Poultney pattern?

Mike.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Eggman,
    Thanks for the offer of the loan. Unfortunately I live in Arizona. Could you take pictures and measurements of the bullet and cartridge you have and email them to me or post them?
    The Poultney pattern cartridges are foil and paper cartridges. The brass ones are the originals.
    Would love to make a mould of the original bullet. I?ve already made one of the original Star carbine upper and it shoots surprisingly well.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thank you Jim.
    I have a fascination with Civil War carbinesand have been collecting them for a few years. Now that I'm out here in Arizona and have a buddy and group I shoot with a few times a month I've really gotten into testing them using original style bullets. So far I've found that the original style bullet shoots far better than anything else that others are using and have been surprised with the accuracy or most of them. The book Civi War Carbines, Myth V Reality lists the Gallagher dead last as far as accuracy, we'll see. So far my experience with the carbines I've shot don't support any of his .
    Mike

Team:
    1st US Artillery K Battery
    5766V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York

original gallagher

Back from a short vacation. My Gallagher is an original with a low 4 digit serial number. When I got the gun it came with nothing as far as load data. I have been under the impression that the gun was called out as a 50 cal. with the actual bore being .520" - .525'. The gun is capable of shooting very well, I just can't see the rear sight!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Keep us abreast of how you do with the Gallagher. I have always wanted one, but was scared off by the stories of poor accuracy. I'll probably end up with one one day either way, but I would certainly be more open to the idea if I knew good accuracy was more easily achievable.