Thread: Moose old style mini 575-450 accuracy?

Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Moose old style mini 575-450 accuracy?

I've been shooting a lyman os mini for years, its been an accurate bullet. If I miss its me and not the round or the gun. My only drawback with the round is the time it takes in casting. I have a Moose Mould 575 450os with an attached base plug, which speeds my casting time greatly. I was wondering if anyone has had good accuracy with it. (yes I know, go out and shoot the darn thing for myself) I've used 45gr of 3F with my Lyman but noticed the moose has a thinner skirt..so I'm thinking lower powder charge? 38 to 40?

Speaking of Moose Moulds, anyone know if their out of business? I've sent 2 emails to them and tried calling (voice mailbox is full) no response.

Thanks

Scott Fisher
    1st Maine H.A.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I have a friend with a mould on order from them. He was told 2 or 3 weeks when he ordered, but it has been something like 6 now. He emailed a week or two back, but no response as of yet. Their moulds are really good, but this is not the first time the subject of long lead times and not returning emails has come up.

So yes, they are still in business, but it is my understanding that it is a side line for them, ie, they have day jobs too.

I have two of their moulds that I've had for 3 or 4 years. I had no problem when I ordered, but my friend is wishing he had ordered from someone else. I wish their service was better because they make a really good product.

Team:
    1st Maryland Cavalry, CSA
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I have more than 15 molds made by Moose Moulds. Every one of them is worth their weight in gold ! They are also worth the time it takes until they are done. So if you place an order with them. Keep in mind that a quality mold may take some time to get in your hands. This is because as stated here many times before. This is something that Moose and Sandy do for the skirmishing community . They have regular jobs that pay the bills. Moose Moulds is only a part time business for them. But because they make such a great product. They are backed up with orders as if it were a full time job ! So if you place a order. Just be patient. I still can not believe that they can make such a great mold and charge so little for it ! I still cast Wilkins from the first prototype mold that I got from them and it has made more bullets than I can count !
    JOHN H. GRAINGER
    1ST MD. CAV C.S.A.

STARR`S are better than Maynard`s in every way !
    STARR`S do not miss a target on skirmish day !

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    The Moose Old Style with 45 grains of 3F is an extremely accurate round in my Richmond Razeed Springfield (2 Band) with a Whitacre barrel, 1:72 twist, three lands and grooves, progressive depth rifling.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee