Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTS DGW Burnside Bullet Mold

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    The numbers on the DGW "Hair Curler Moulds" are always the diameter the mould is SUPPOSED to cast. Sometimes they are accurate.....sometimes they aren't.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    If it's really .558" it may very well be too small for optimum accuracy. Rapine's came out of the mould at .556".
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread. But back around 1985 I had a Burnside. I got a Dixie mold and it shot quite good. The carbine is long gone, but I dug around and found what I think is the mold. But I'm not 100% sure. It is marked 57 and 570. A few sample bullets mic about .575". I don't recall the groove size, but does this bullet sound a bit large for a Burnside? Then again, it may have been for something else. I just don't recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Steve Blancard; 11-01-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Occasionally threads on the forum are not just interesting technically, but aesthetically. This are one.
    To say the least, the concept of having a "dyke" remove one's sprues blew me away.
    Using the phrases "optimum accuracy", and "quite good" accuracy in regard to any Burnside was most creative.
    Everyone focused on the diameter of the bullet. What about the single grease groove?? Good luck with that in 10 to 12 round team events.
    And last but not least, $38 for a used Dixie mould?? Wasn't the original price $8? I have a goldmine in my mould pile and didn't even know it.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Eggman - To take this interesting, and serious discussion on Burnside Carbines a bit further, I don't believe anyone has yet to really address the Gain Twist rifling in a Burnside. My experience with Gain Twist rifling is that I do not like it one bit! In my opinion it is the most unforgiving rifling ever invented. Every gain twist barrel I have ever fired had a "Sweet Spot" for load, lube, and projectile, at which point it would consistently put one shot on top of the other. Deviate from that and the group becomes a pattern.

Way back in the 1960's the late and great Jerry Keimer of the 4th Kentucky Cavalry made the best Burnside cases that were ever on the market. They were Aluminum and deep drawn into real forming dies just like the original cases. They had good longevity, too. I know he offered the business for sale at one time, but have no knowledge of what ever became of it, or the dies. Maybe his son has them?