Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Burnside Carbine Question

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    4582V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I don?t see a Burnside bullet on Moose?s website. Is it called a Burnside mould?

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    You might give them a call I got the first test one they made to try out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    I just got one of the Accurate molds, gonna try to cast up some bullets today
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Nylon cases?

Quote Originally Posted by patio View Post
    Loaded 5 rounds. Starting with 40gr of 1 1/2F Old Eynsford. Accurate Molds 390B bullet. Dipped the bullet in lube to the case neck after the bullet was seated. Need to replace the nipple before firing.
    Are nylon cases still available? I tried the brass ones they were selling in recent years, and the overall case lengths were a tad short - the 'swell' near the casemouqth (gas seal) does not appear as wide as brass cases that used to be available. The result was that the receiver was driven back a little when fired (the slider holding the nipple was designed to accommodate slight variations in case OAL ?), and this caused swelling and failure at the case mouth. What I did was to lathe cut .030 wide copper rings off nominal 1/2 plumping pipe, then soldered one on the back side of the 'swell' to get a better fit. Also I soldered .030 thick #8 brass washers onto the back of the cases. Result: a perfect fit for my model 5 Burnside, and the cases hold up fine ... but this is a lot of trouble (and cost) to go through. .562 round ball w/ 37.5 gr. 3F hit all in the black at 50 yards. I'm still trying to find a conical round that will equal that, but so far the groups have been larger than with round ball.

This is a work 'under development', as my "go to" carbine is an original Smith handed-down through several owners in my unit (it was a 'put together' gun as the serial #s are different on barrel, receiver and inside the removable side plate), but it shoots well enough that I'm not embarrassed.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    Region:
    Logewood sells the plastic cases They work good. Moose molds just started making a Burnside mold that shoots very good in my gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Respectfully, the statement about the design of the Burnside action "...the slider holding the nipple was designed to accommodate slight variations in case OAL..." is incorrect. The actual purpose of the spring loaded block is to break the case loose in the chamber when the breech is opened after firing. The "arc" design of the rear interior of the frame acts as a cam to push the cartridge case slightly forward. It was designed like this because the original cases were drawn from thin brass and when fired they formed tightly to the chamber cavity and, without the cam action, were nearly impossible to remove. This is also why the Burnside cartridge was designed with a full taper, because it only took a 1/16" of forward movement to break it completely free from the chamber.

Team:
    Forney's Battalion, USMC
    Region:

Fascinating!

You learn something new almost every day on this forum.

True Blue and Diamond Hard,

Harry
    03626v

Region:

Brass case problems explained

BTW, I've figured out that the brass Burnside cartridges offered today are either made from another source or from a different NC program than the cartridges sold some years ago! A Burnside cartridge needs to be long enough to push the spring-loaded piece in the back of the action against solid metal, AND the geometry around the case mouth needs to be correct. Just look at a picture of an original Burnside round and you will see a generous 'swell' behind the case mouth to fill the action profile AND the gap between the barrel and the action when a round is loaded. Pictures of old Burnside brass also show this geometry. More than one supplier STILL use this picture, but the cases sold these days are a little shorter AND the 'swell' near the case mouth is no longer wide enough. What is being sold does not correspond to the pictured production previously offered. THAT is why I've had to solder on a brass washer to the base of my brass cartridges - then test fit and file as needed to get an OAL of 1.870 +/- .005. I also must lathe cut .030 copper rings from 1/2 plumbing tube and solder them on the rear side of the 'swell' near the case mouth so to fit the geometry of the action better. This is a lot of trouble, ergo I've ordered some nylon cases. This also explains why some people have had a long life and very many firing from their brass (since it is likely that brass is the 'old' style), and why many others report rapid swelling and cracking (as I experienced). I figured out a solution (with a lot of trouble) so I wouldn't wreck more of my brass cases that cost me $4 each (at the National). Also, I had to hand ream the inside of the case mouth to .562, because That is the side needed for a conical round to swage properly to the bore without excessive 'blow-by'. The nylon cases can fit over a nominal .560 round because they have 'give'. Brass cases (as made) only take .556 or so rounds, which have too large a pattern on the board when fired.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    the spring loaded block cam action
    Long time since I owned a Burnside. Remember the cam action --- don't remember any spring.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Burnside cases

Johnsymborski? after reading your discussion about Burnside cases I was curious about some I had left in my miscellaneous bins and it turned out i had mostly the long ones. The mouths were running maybe .555. So if I get lucky and acquire another Burnside I know which ones to work with. Thanks for the education.