Thread: Advise for H&P shooters

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Advise for H&P shooters

If the flash channel gets plugged in an H&P conversion you can not drill it out from the nipple seat. You must remove the breech plug and drill it out from the front end. The hole is an angle that does not align with the top of the nipple thread but it comes in at the bottom of the thread. If the hole is not completely plugged then pipe cleaners could possibly be used to clean out the flash channel. The best way to clean an H&P and any other patent breech is to put a piece of surgical tubing on the nipple with the other end submerged in hot water. Working a patch up and down in the bore will pull hot water through the nipple and flush out the flash channel.

Region:
    Brother John?s right about the beneficial cleaning effects of hot water getting worked into, and out of, the breech. Can?t emphasis enough the important role a patched cleaning rod plays in generating suction AND most importantly the incredibly high water pressures created as the rod is pushed home.

I may be stating the obvious to many, but for the uninitiated, this particular cleaning regimen is by no means limited to the beloved H&P. Personally, ALL of my soiled BP pieces, save Revolver & Ballard, are cleaned in virtually the same fashion EVERY time after shooting. The ONLY exception is when cleaning my Jagger, I do employ a cleaning tube afixed to the bolster. Everything else, every time: barrels are CORRECTLY removed from the stock/frame, and nipples are removed. Barrels are given a lavish ?spa treatment? using copious amounts of HOT water and Dawn detergent.

All thats REALLY needed is one is one container of hot soapy (Dawn!) water for the general (aka messy) cleaning, and then a quick run thru involving CLEAN hot water via a separate container to RINSE the subject barrel.

You know the rest of the story (concerning cleaning /oiling/follow up)... BUT in taking proper care of your piece you?ll enjoy your arm delivering LONG and consistent performance on the line (keep in mind YOU will still have to hold the muzzle in the right spot when the shot breaks!). Imagine having no fear of a fouled arm, ability to compete wholly unrestrained on the line, no more relines/replacement barrels (and subsequent re-sighting...), your piece working as designed without fail - ?skirmisher?s Nirvana?!

Yes, I realized I?ve ?gilded the lily?. AND without the aid of my crystal ball, I know for a fact that some fellow skirmishers have differing opinions or techniques on this particular subject.

Bottomline, I agree with John!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Well there you guys go again, giving away all the really good secrets. Seriiously, If we all cleaned our BP guns, the number of foul outs would be greatly reduced.

Thanks for posting this really valuable information.

Greg

Region:
    Yup. I also remove the barrel, give it a rinse, then stick the breech end into a bucket of soapy water (Simple solution, in my case) and pump away. Follow up with a rinse and dry thoroughly.

Although I'm seriously considering buying one of the Pedersoli Turbo Cleaners...basically a high-pressure steam cleaner with a long rod designed for black powder use. It's expensive, but has a good reputation.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com