Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerr rifle barrels?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Kerr rifle barrels?

A while back, I recall seeing a thread about some modern barrel maker making barrels with the Kerr rifling system. Does anyone know about this? Are these available today? If so, can someone provide details please? Thanks

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I did a search and it appears that Hoyt was supposed to make the barrels.

https://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/search...earchid=825968
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Yes, R.A. Hoyt did make them on a limited special order basis, and as I recall they were .451 caliber.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Does Mr. Hoyt monitor this forum? May I get contact info for him? Thanks

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hoyt does not monitor the forum that I know. He made those Kerr barrels several years ago as a special order. His phone # is 717-642-6696. It is best to call in the early morning. I've heard reports that he is hard to contact lately. Be patient.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thanks. Does anyone on the forum have one of these Kerr barrels. Can you provide details on accuracy? Thanks

Region:
    Visitor

Kerr rifle barrel

keweenaw,

I have one of the Kerr barrels by Bobby Hoyt. I used mine in a PH P-53 and did okay with it. I was just getting started in MLAIC Long Range shooting and had a lot to learn, I still do. I did struggle with accuracy but not due to the barrel. Rather, how I managed my fouling. I moved up to a Pedersoli Whitworth and then, then, I learned how to manage my barrel condition.

After several years shooting both rifles, and shooting them side by side more than once, I think the Kerr is on par with the Whitworth if it is loaded and cleaned properly. Currently, my Kerr barrel is out of the stock and the .577 barrel returned to the PH. I plan to build a match Kerr around the barrel when other projects are completed.

I do not know if Bobby is still making the barrels or not, I would think he would if his cutters are still good. You can call, but it may take several tries to get him on the phone in the shop. Bobby does not do email, internet, etc. Great guy to talk to.

DAve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhousejake View Post
    keweenaw,

I have one of the Kerr barrels by Bobby Hoyt. I used mine in a PH P-53 and did okay with it. I was just getting started in MLAIC Long Range shooting and had a lot to learn, I still do. I did struggle with accuracy but not due to the barrel. Rather, how I managed my fouling. I moved up to a Pedersoli Whitworth and then, then, I learned how to manage my barrel condition.

After several years shooting both rifles, and shooting them side by side more than once, I think the Kerr is on par with the Whitworth if it is loaded and cleaned properly. Currently, my Kerr barrel is out of the stock and the .577 barrel returned to the PH. I plan to build a match Kerr around the barrel when other projects are completed.

I do not know if Bobby is still making the barrels or not, I would think he would if his cutters are still good. You can call, but it may take several tries to get him on the phone in the shop. Bobby does not do email, internet, etc. Great guy to talk to.

DAve
    Thanks for the info. I would like to pursue your comments about managing the fouling in more detail. I currently have a repro whitworth (PH) and been working with it a bit. Recently have been having problems with group migration. Literally, the group moves. Yesterday I had an excellent group, then for no apparent reason, the group shifted about 6-8 inches. No change in bullet, powder, sight picture or anything. Shooting vernier peep sight rear and globe front from a bench. I have a hex cleaning jag and I have been wet patching the bore between shots. Loading powder with a brass drop tube as well. I suppose some of this might be shooter error, but I am interested in your input on fouling management. Thanks!!

Region:
    Visitor
    keweenaw,

You can follow my entire trip through getting my rifles shooting well here.

https://vringblog.wordpress.com

That is a blog I put up to keep 'Pat in Virginia' from this board up to date with my endeavors. he is to blame for getting me started down this rabbit hole The blog is long and it wanders, but you will be privy to all my mistakes and stumbling along the way.

As to managing fouling, I think of it more as "Barrel Condition". I have seen shooters keep their barrels squeaky clean and others just use a quick wipe reversing the patch and loading right away. Both ways produce winning scores. I believe, and I am certainly no expert, that it matters more that your barrel is the same each shot whether "the same" is referring to clean or dirty. My last trip to Oak Ridge earlier this year was very good. Just at the end of the 1000 yard relay I made progress with judging wind and finally was able to shoot well. Reading the wind is my next task to overcome.

Two weeks ago at the NMLRA Spring shoot several of us were shooting at the 500 yard Mini Creedmore target and I was able to hit the bull with boring regularity while describing my rifle and load to spectators. Just a year earlier, I was jumping up and down with joy for hitting it just once in a dozen shots.

I will be happy to help any way I can with your efforts.

DAve

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Is your rifle glass bedded? Did the weather change any, in particular the humidity?
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA