Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kerr rifle barrels?

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    Is your rifle glass bedded? Did the weather change any, in particular the humidity?
    Rifle is not glass bedded (yet). However, I would think that if bedding was a serious problem, that it would not group well at all. In this case, it was grouping well, but then the group migrated several inches.

No weather changes, no change in sights, loading procedure. Very snug fitting bullet. Bullets dug out of backstop how good hex shape.

Region:
    Visitor
    I had a long post for you yesterday but it got held by the mod. I have not seen it come through yet.

Drifting groups would lead me to think it was bedding or bands. Bill Adams has a great article on bedding the military stocked rifle. I followed his instructions on my Enfield and my Whitworth.

Let's see if this post goes through...

DAve

Region:
    Visitor
    Okay, that post worked. When working with students I have always said that if you had a group anomaly, odd groups with big changes that often reversed themselves, it is almost always the shooter. Sometimes sight picture, sometimes how you managed the rifle such as position, sometimes how you assembled the rifle after cleaning.

If the moving group is not the shooter, I would look at bedding. Here is Bill Curtis article.
    http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index...ng-the-enfield

Here is what I wrote when I followed his instructions.
    https://vringblog.wordpress.com/2016...he-p53-barrel/
    https://vringblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/blah/

I personally would not glass bed a rifle until the only options left were selling it or replacing the stock. It is rare that a rifle requires glass bedding, it is not reversible and can disqualify a rifle from international competition should you decide to go that route.

Keep in mind that with the full stocked rifle something as small as ramrod position can show itself in the group at 200 yards. Forearm band tension, grip position, canting the rifle all can shift groups at distance also. A bench can magnify those effects as well.

DAve

Region:
    Visitor
    Okay, I have two posts now held for moderation. I put URLs in them, so hopefully you will get to read them.

DAve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Yellowhousejake - I don't see anything in the moderation que, so I hope everything has been taken care of by one of the other moderators. Just so you know, there is some kind of algorithm which places "suspicious" posts there automatically, we don't do it.

I want to tell you how much I am enjoying this particular thread, and the immense amount of knowledge and experience you are sharing with us! Some time ago I acquired one of Hoyt's .451 altered barrels for a Euroarms P-53. It came with a special ram rod and a mould. However I don't think the mould is appropriate as it is a Lyman .457/550 grain greaser. I suspect the previous owner gave up in utter frustration because of trying to size the .457 bullet down so far to fit the .451 bore. I haven't had the time to play with it yet.

Again, thank you, and please continue with this absolutely fascinating topic!

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowhousejake View Post
    Okay, I have two posts now held for moderation. I put URLs in them, so hopefully you will get to read them.

DAve
    Have not seen anything yet. If anyone has one of these barrels they would part with, I would be interested. Thanks

Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    Yellowhousejake - I don't see anything in the moderation que, so I hope everything has been taken care of by one of the other moderators. Just so you know, there is some kind of algorithm which places "suspicious" posts there automatically, we don't do it.

I want to tell you how much I am enjoying this particular thread, and the immense amount of knowledge and experience you are sharing with us! Some time ago I acquired one of Hoyt's .451 altered barrels for a Euroarms P-53. It came with a special ram rod and a mould. However I don't think the mould is appropriate as it is a Lyman .457/550 grain greaser. I suspect the previous owner gave up in utter frustration because of trying to size the .457 bullet down so far to fit the .451 bore. I haven't had the time to play with it yet.

Again, thank you, and please continue with this absolutely fascinating topic!
    Posts #9 and #13 were the ones and they are now here. Thanks to whomever did that.

John, I would not call anything I have to offer an immense amount of knowledge. A big list of mistakes maybe! I am glad you find value in it and I will happily offer any advice I can.

I would think that yes, the .457 grease bullet would be a problem to get shooting well. There are lots of .442 smooth bullets suitable for paper patching available. Both the ones I use are from Accurate Molds and I could not be happier with them. Quality mold and a fair price. I can provide the mold numbers if anyone is interested.

DAve
    Last edited by yellowhousejake; 06-23-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Region:
    Visitor
    I must have the "moderate me" gene. I can't seem to get anything posted if it is longer than a sentence.

DAve