Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking wisdom regards Maynard carbine loads...

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Seeking wisdom regards Maynard carbine loads...

Hello Gents-

I have a pretty nice looking second model Maynard on the way to me. I've been a bullet caster and handloader since about 1970, so I'm not unfamiliar with load development, but would welcome some experienced input from this group. I'm not a skirmisher, but will be using the Maynard for recreational shooting and hopefully a bit of hunting at my new home in northern Georgia.

A couple of questions please: Is there a mold you've had particularly good success with? I saw an image of a Romano mold and liked the looks of it, but have yet to learn if they are still available. Secondly, while my intention is to use the full capacity brass cases, what accuracy differences have you experienced with the use of the plastic cases? I think it might be nice to have some "disposable" cases.

I might add that I do have a mold which may be suitable - a Lyman .50-70 mold (515139?) I purchased years ago. It's 2,200 miles away at the moment and I'll need to cast a few samples to check the diameter and of course I'll slug the barrel of the Maynard as well. But I'd like to find a mold which will shoot well AND look as period correct as possible.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you might give! Jim...

IMG_4050A by Jim QRB, on Flickr

(not my photo)
    Last edited by Just Jim; 06-08-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The mold you have will work just fine. Put it on top of 35 grains of 3F Goex and away ya go.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Thank you RaiderANV...

Any experience with the plastic cases, or are they not worth bothering with?

Cheers... Jim

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Jim,

If you’re looking for disposable, then by all means go with plastic cases...

However, if you want something that will offer a return on investment, go with BRASS. If maintained, these cases will last you MANY years.

If you’re planning to use your piece for general “plinking” I’d recommend reduced capacity brass. Shooting full capacity, you’ll need to use filler (Cream of Wheat, or Grits) to occupy any open space in the brass not taken up with black powder.

Congrats on your Model 2. They’re SWEET pieces and a lot of fun to shoot. Enjoy!
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Many thanks, Colonel Rob-

I appreciate the use of reduced loads for breaking clay birds or tiles, but my tendency has always been to recreate the original period loads. In part, because I really enjoy the "experiential archealogical" aspect of doings as period correct as possible. But in this case, I'm also hoping I may have a chance to roll a whitetail with the carbine next year.

I seem to have a fair whitetail, turkey and black bear population on our new acreage. I have no desire to perforate a bruin, but I would not turn down the chance to put some venison on the table!

Thanks again... Jim

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I used 35 grains of 3F Goex with the mold you have and it went through both shoulders of a whitetail & out the other side. It stood there for 15-20 seconds then fell over.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderANV View Post
    I used 35 grains of 3F Goex with the mold you have and it went through both shoulders of a whitetail & out the other side. It stood there for 15-20 seconds then fell over.

Can't ask for anything better than that!

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I am shooting the Moose mould Maynard/Smith bullet in .520" diameter and sized to .518". I also shoot 35 grains of GOEX 3F and for the 36 years I have been shooting my original second model Maynard the powder charge has never changed. The Moose bullet, when loaded into the carbine and the action locks, pushes the bullet into the rifling. My Maynard shoots very tight groups from the bench and it shoots way better than I can shoot it. The bullets weighs around 385 grains.

Name:  Maynard Smith bullet.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  9.8 KB
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    "
    But in this case, I'm also hoping I may have a chance to roll a whitetail with the carbine next year."

Check your game laws. You may have to use it during regular rifle season. Some states get hinky on black powder guns.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    "
    But in this case, I'm also hoping I may have a chance to roll a whitetail with the carbine next year."

Check your game laws. You may have to use it during regular rifle season. Some states get hinky on black powder guns.
    Interesting point. Here in North Carolina, we have a black powder season. A black powder gun is defined as one that does not used fixed ammunition. Hence my desire to use my Gallagher this year. It's an Erma relined to .50 cal. by Bobby Hoyt. I shoot the Lee Smith/Maynard sized .517 and 30 gr of 3F Swiss with corn meal filler.