Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring national

Team:
    Baltimore Rifles, 1st Maryland Vol.
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Spring national

Opinions please, before the spring nationals I went to the range to see where I was hitting, I was hitting the center of target pretty consistent. The temps were in the 70s. At the nationals I could hardly touch the barrel it was so hot and could not hit where I was a week before. Would the temperature change that much and what can i do to remedy it?
    thanks,
    john

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    John, I'm somewhat speculating here but there a couple things that come to mind. If the barrel is in direct sunlight you will get uneven thermal expansion. That can't be good but it's too much work to either experiment or do the math know what the actual effect might be. Also, I have noticed a difference in point of impact summer to winter say a 60 °F swing. Glass bedding took care of that

Team:
    1st New Jersey Light Artillery
    11416V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Barrel temp.

Air temperature, barrel temperature ,preparation of the barrel (cleanliness), wind speed and direction, bullet lube, bullet design, bullet alloy, humidity, powder all play a part.
    Last edited by Bob Lintner; 05-30-2019 at 03:07 PM.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Interesting in that the 110th don’t practice at the fort, yet the consistently turn in an outstanding performance at Nationals.
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    A good portion of it is what your actually seeing. At nationals I shoot opposite of what I do at all other skirmishes. Carbine in the morning and musket in the afternoon(phase 2). The lighting conditions are completely different from what I’m accustomed too and I find I have to “try harder” to focus on the good shots.
    Bobby Hannula
    1st Valley Rangers

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Back to what Lou,Lou,Lou said.....The 110th OVI puts the multitude of excuses for poor match shooting to rest. As noted, they only shoot at "The Fort" twice a year and have won the Nationals in every type of weather conditions you can imagine, and hold the record for the number of Nationals ever won by one Unit. When I was young, our team practiced the year 'round, and in non-Winter conditions it was twice a week. Being in Western New York we practiced in every weather condition you can imagine from Winter storms to blistering heat. The "Zero" never changed from one condition to the other. Like the 110th OVI, we also only ever shoot at "The Fort" twice a year, but all of that intense practice we did let us win three Nationals. I have found most problems to be explained by errors on behalf of the shooter, and not the conditions. Mental conditioning has a lot to do with it, if you believe that conditions can cause you to shoot poorly.....you most assuredly will.

Just my thoughts and experiences since 1963!

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You obviously had a fast rate of fire during the matches then you did during your practice. My Maynard got to hot to hold each relay but it still hit exactly where it was pointing when it went off. We’re you shooting offhand during practice as in the matches? Get you one of the nice weight lifting glides that have the ends of fingers cut out and you can then hold that hot barrel. NOT...... the fake leather. It WILL melt to your barrel when going full time on a relay, during the summer at the Fort. That Merrill carbine still has the imprint of the glove on it.
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    9269V
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    First and foremost, eliminate the variables that can and will change - stocks swell and contract, depending upon the conditions - which will change your point of impact as pressures change at the barrel bands affecting the barrel harmonics. Put your bands on the same way every time, and (if screw tension type) same tightness every time. Same with the tang screw. Glass bedding was mentioned - and I would strongly recommend any serious competitor should have their muzzle loader bedded. Cases can be made for breech-only or full-length bedding. In my opinion and experience, full length bedding solved all of my 'wandering zero' issues. After you stabilize the barrel by bedding, point of impact will change very little with the environment, all other factors being equal (ammo, etc)...
    Tom Magno, 9269V
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Mr. Holland, you are a wise and kind gentleman. Now, I just wish I could shoot with the real A teamers. More Practise!

Greg

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I have been shooting black powder competition since I was old enough to hold a gun. Though you cant always tell by my shooting. I was told when I was a young feller that different weather conditions do indeed play a part in your shooting. Not necessarily point of impact in all cases. Sun vs no sun plays a part on point of aim and not necessarily point of impact. This because it changes the way you are seeing your sight picture. Sun on your left vs sun on your right.

Humidity does indeed affect black powder and point of impact. But I am not of scientific mind enough to explain this one. I do believe that lube plays a factor in this a well.

If you wear glasses, that will also play a factor in your sight picture. New ones vs old ones. Scratches, etc.

The best that I have been able to come up with is to practice in all weather and sunlight conditions and make notes on point of impact and your sight picture. Basically, it boils down to knowing your gun and how it reacts in all different conditions.
    Jeff Kiser
    6509V
    Jeff Davis Legion