Thread: Revolver sight adjustment

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Revolver sight adjustment

Ok. I know the formula for altering sights on long guns. But when adjusting a revolver front sight there is only that little notch rear sight and your eye is much further away from that rear sight when aiming than a long gun. So does your eye become the rear sight in reality? Therefore the distance from front sight to eyeball is the sight radius. What would be the sight radius on a 42 smoothbore? To borrow a quote inquiring minds would like to know.
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The sight radius is the distance between front and rear sights. Period.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    What he said.

As for the '42 Smoothbore......It would work the same way. While there is no rear sight, there is SOME point of reference one uses, consciously or unconsciously, to ensure you're not pointed off into oblivion. Whatever that is, would be the rear sight if one felt the need to calculate sight radius on a '42. I've heard of people using the slot in the tang screw, but don't see how that works. If I did that, I'd shoot 12" low. I've also seen people paint a stripe on the top of the breech with white-out or sight marking paint. I'm pretty sure that's against the rules, but it don't change the fact that I have seen it.

Team:
    Region:

Revolver sights

Tks for the replies. Clears up some wondering. Hal. You’re right on both counts. I have used the tang screw and on a 42 and do on my horse pistol. Crude but it’s all I have to work with. The reason I asked the question is bc my revolver was shooting way low. Took measurements made adjustments using formula and mics. Now shooting way high. Pretty sure checked everything 2x. Now back to work bench then to range. And yes marking so as to construe a rear sight in any manner with paint is a no no on any smoothie.

As for the horse pistol, retreating to 12.5’ has increased scores. My 97 was 3rd this past national. Although I think the target had powder burns and teammate Adam Bumford had an 85 at 25 yds. 1st time he every shot it and 1st time gun had a bullet in it. Ahhhh those young eyes. So horse pistol continues to evolve.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

And now a word of caution...

When the subject gets to smoothbore sights, I'm inclined to remind people that the way the rules are written for smoothbore competition, you are not allowed to change the size, shape or location of any of the sights, front or rear, of any model smoothbore used for N-SSA competition.

When the smoothbore matches were proposed, they were created with a rule that all sights have to be "as issued". If you modify your sights in a way that can be spotted by an Inspector, you face being DQ'd in individual events and your team being DQ'd in team events. To my knowledge, subject to verification by Mr. Holland, the only sight changes allowed are on reproduction 1842 front sights, which came from the manufacturer (Armi Sport?) located off to one side. In that instance, the SAC allows a shooter to grind the steel sight off and install a properly sized and shaped brass sight in the center of the band.
    The following is taken from the Inspector's Sheet for the M1842 Musket -

Brass radiused blade, on forward strap of front band, approx. 0.125” high (1/8”)

If you have any questions about this, contact the Small Arms Committee or your regional Inspector.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    To add to what Bob has said, if you remove the incorrectly mounted front sight on an ArmiSport M-1842 and replace it with a proper brass blade in the correct centered position, you are then required to have a SAC Individual Approval Card issued for what you have done. This is because the arm has been modified from the way it was originally approved by the Board.

Team:
    Region:
    All good stuff