Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: widening front sight post

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

widening front sight post

Hello,

I noticed that the POI is slightly favoring left than my POA. I don't really have the know-how to move the entire front sight. I was wondering if there's a way to add a bit of width to the right side of the sight to widen it out? I kind of prefer a slightly wide front post anyways so widening it would be a win-win for me.

thanks!

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    I may be wrong, but adding thickness to the right side of the front sight will move poi to the left. Leave the front sight alone and work with read sight. Acronym FORS, front opposite, rear same. Open rear sight to the right
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    I may be wrong, but adding thickness to the right side of the front sight will move poi to the left. Leave the front sight alone and work with read sight. Acronym FORS, front opposite, rear same. Open rear sight to the right
    you're right, I would have to ad it to the left side. The problem is that the rear sight might be a bit more work to fix. If you're in Hopkinton this weekend I'll show you and maybe you can give me a few suggestions.

Team:
    Region:
    Can’t make it, but your team commander is a great gunsmith. Talk to Walt Clark. Can’t go wrong
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Lou Lou View Post
    Can’t make it, but your team commander is a great gunsmith. Talk to Walt Clark. Can’t go wrong
    gotcha, will miss you sir!

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    I've seen (and owned) several skirmish guns that have the rear notch/peep offset to adjust for windage. I might be guilty of doing it to a few myself. The worst offset correction I ever made was to my Henry repro where the rear peep is way over. (I know the rear sight is in a dovetail, but that looked worse than moving the peep.)

Anyways, I made a fixture that clamps to the barrel on a musket and allows me to set the windage on a dovetailed front sight rather than the rear. I've done it on my Mississippi, my Grandson's SN&WTC Springfield and several friend's guns. A friend of mine, a 50 year skirmisher, told me he had never seen anything like it.

If anyone is interested, I could take some pictures and post them here along with the method of operation.

(I'd do it right now, but I'm feeling lazy this morning, plus I'm interested in how many people would like to see it.)
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    Region:
    Thanks, Bob:
    Please add the photo's.
    Kevin

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by bobanderson View Post
    I've seen (and owned) several skirmish guns that have the rear notch/peep offset to adjust for windage. I might be guilty of doing it to a few myself. The worst offset correction I ever made was to my Henry repro where the rear peep is way over. (I know the rear sight is in a dovetail, but that looked worse than moving the peep.)

Anyways, I made a fixture that clamps to the barrel on a musket and allows me to set the windage on a dovetailed front sight rather than the rear. I've done it on my Mississippi, my Grandson's SN&WTC Springfield and several friend's guns. A friend of mine, a 50 year skirmisher, told me he had never seen anything like it.

If anyone is interested, I could take some pictures and post them here along with the method of operation.

(I'd do it right now, but I'm feeling lazy this morning, plus I'm interested in how many people would like to see it.)
    i dont have a dovetail so can't use it, but I'm curious to see it as well

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I started with a P-58 Euroarms that had no dovetails and shot off to the side. Eventually I replaced the rear sight with a peep and drilled it where it needed to be, but leading up to that, after installing a taller sight blade (which involved filing off the original sight and cutting a notch in the front sight base, and soldering a piece of brass stock into it) I still found it was shooting off center.

It was a simple matter to take another piece of brass sheet and solder it to the side of the one I had just installed, then file to correct windage as needed.

Simple job if you can solder.

Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    I started with a P-58 Euroarms that had no dovetails and shot off to the side. Eventually I replaced the rear sight with a peep and drilled it where it needed to be, but leading up to that, after installing a taller sight blade (which involved filing off the original sight and cutting a notch in the front sight base, and soldering a piece of brass stock into it) I still found it was shooting off center.

It was a simple matter to take another piece of brass sheet and solder it to the side of the one I had just installed, then file to correct windage as needed.

Simple job if you can solder.
    I have a lot of experience soldering electronics but not metals. Do I just use silver solder? And do I heat the existing sight or the brass sheet? Wasn't sure if heating the barrel area was a good idea.