Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: widening front sight post

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Try low temperature solder. Yes you can “tin” the part with flux and solder before attaching
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    1st U.S. Sharpshooters
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin
    This is a little crazy but I have done it twice successfully. This is not applicable to the exact question but you might find fits other circumstances. After installing a tall front sight use a rear notch leaf sight and shoot a group. Calculate the estimated location for a peep. Drill your peep way oversize and thread it. I don't remember if I used 10 x 32 or 1/4 x 28, you'll want fine threads. Thread in a screw and cut not quite flush. Drill a peep intentionally off center in the piece of screw. Now by rotating the plug with the peep hole in it you are adjusting windage. Since it's passing through an arc you are also changing elevation but the intent here is to use the offset hole for windage and file the front sight for the final elevation. When you drill the initial hole you want to make sure that a peep location anywhere from the full left or right extreems still leaves the front sight tall enough.

I also made the peep smaller than the final desired size and drilled it out later after nailing down the position. You'll need to take a torch to the range because the threaded peep bushing for lack of a better term needs to be soldered in place. For adjustments heat it up and stick the drill shank in it and rotate. let it cool and test fire. Rinse and repeat. Drill out the final size then finish flush. Then adjust the front sight height.