Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore size Maynard 2nd Model Questions

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I have been shooting a 2nd Model Maynard for 35+ years. I cast my bullets in a Moose Mould that drops bullets at .520" then I size then to .518" and I have never changed the bullet diameter size in all of those years. I use 35 grains of GOEX 3F. This powder/bullet combination consistently produces excellent accuracy.
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Most shooters I know use around 23 grains of Goex 3f in the 50 cal. Maynards with a 360 grain bullet in a reduced capacity case. I shot 26 grains for many years but have since reduced the charge. If you use the full capacity cases, you will need 30 grains of 3f Goex. My Maynards like a 516" bullet which is .002" over for my 26 inch barrels. There is a heavier 410 grain bullet that some shooters are using at 100 yards, but you really don't need it for 50. I get by with the 360 grain bullet at 50 and a 100. As for lube, I make my own with shortening or Crisco, bees wax as needed to keep the lube from getting runny, and a touch of lanolin to make the lube stick to the bullet better. Lube is not exactly rocket science.
    Last edited by Jim Wimbish, 10395; 04-25-2019 at 10:26 AM.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA from 2000 to 2024

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    VERY interesting. So my question would be -- would more lead be deposited on the barrel interior by combustion blow-by than would be left by friction of a fully involved bullet passing down the barrel........
    Yes. Go here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

There is a world of information about cast bullets, alloys, leading, etc. These guys will tell you that "Fit is king."

Small bullets are the number one cause of leading. Some people get leading and think their allow is too soft. If the bullet is already too small and you harden the alloy, you get even less obturation and an even worse fit in the barrel. The gas cutting I mentioned is due more to erosion than the heat of the gasses. Think water jet cutting machine. It's not the heat that cuts the steel. It is the high pressure water (well, and some abrasive most of the time). I'm sure that heat does play a part though, but probably more so due to the heat caused by the erosion and friction than the heat of combustion of powder. It doesn't act long enough to have an effect. Kinda like moving your finger through a candle flame.

If you are using a small bullet and getting good results and no leading, then by all means, keep doing what you are doing. If you are getting leading, look closely at bullet fit first.

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by John Holland View Post
    John Bly - Great load information for your 26" barrel, what lube do you use?
    I use SPG lube in My Maynard. Thanks for asking. I also use a .030 card wad between the powder and bullet. This helps seal the bore from the hot gasses and wipes the bore from the previous shot.
    Last edited by John Bly; 04-26-2019 at 08:05 AM.

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    No....Thank you for the reply!