Thread: sharps berdan v sharps infantry

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

sharps berdan v sharps infantry

Im toying with the idea of getting a sharps 1859/1863. Is the only difference between the Sharps Berdan and Sharps Infantry a double trigger on the Berdan? Or anything different between and 1859/1863? I expect the price to be around $1300.

It seems an Armi Sport might be the way to go (S SSA approved). Can anyone recommend a seller?
    thx

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Speaking about Sharps Rifles, only, there is virtually no difference between a New Model 1859 Rifle and a New Model 1863 Rifle.

The differences between the standard New Model 1859 Rifle and the New Model 1859 Berdan Rifle are as follows:

1 - The Berdan has Double Set Triggers, the ordinary 1859 has a single non-set trigger

2 - The Berdan has a "Fly" in the tumbler so that the sear can't ever catch in the half-cock notch when fired. This can happen when the trigger pull is adjusted to ounces. The ordinary 1859 had no fly.

3 - The Berdan has no lever lock on the trigger plate. The ordinary 1859 model has a lever lock so that the action can't be accidentally opened once the rifle is loaded.

As for which reproduction is better, I have no personal opinion, but I have heard recently that when it comes to reproduction Sharps Rifles many shooters now prefer the Pedersoli over the ArmiSport.

I hope this has helped to answer some of your questions!

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    There are a few differences with the ArmiSport, It is 54 bore and 56 groove so the bullet selection without a custom mould is limited, all the rest are 52 bore, and 54 groove, the same as originals.

The ArmiSport also has the nipple straight up and down where the others are angled, again as the originals. Not really a big deal, just different.

Charlie Hahn

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Charlie - Thanks for the additional information on the reproduction Sharps versions!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Sharps accuracy?

Thanks. Looks like I forgot to ask my most important question. Are these Sharps supposed to be any more accurate than your standard Enfield/Springfield or is it just that they're more quicker to load the only advantage?

Since I don't like messing with custom moulds it looks like the Pederolsi may be the way to go

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    You can make them all shoot, some easier than others. If you get the right size bullet for the Sharps, (the rear band is critical? and the front bore riding band is correct they are almost full proof. Moose's 544 starts bullet is usually a good off the shelf get out jail bullet. I use a custom bullet from Brooks I have made to fit the gun. There are other solutions but these will get you on paper. If you wanted to use my tubes, I will help with how to make up the cartridge, and save some pain in the beginning.

At some point you will need to deal with the design issue that results in breech bind and leakage. There are two of use dealing with that, each offers a different design. You should talk with shooters to get an idea of which way you would like to go.

Charlie Hahn
    410-208-4726

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    11444V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Sharps

One thing no one has mentioned. I believe the Skirmish Rules do not allow the use of set triggers. Spend the money for the Perersoli. It is a very accurate rifle. I have won the Repeater II Agg with mine, although I must that was aan anomaly since I'm usually not that good.

Team:
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Greg Ogdan is correct, set triggers of any type are not permitted in the N-SSA's competitive matches. I didn't address that because the original post is shown as a "Non-Member", and was only asking about the differences between the models.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Great info, thanks everyone!