Thread: Wanted: Experienced Like Minded Team

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Wanted: Experienced Like Minded Team

I've been away from competition shipping for quite a few years. Looking for an experienced friendly team which attends the Nationals as well as Regional events. While I'm currently located in the Midwest, Region is open.

Would also be interested in finding a like minded Artillery Battery in need of a new member.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Where are you located? Folks near you will chime in soon. Looks like the auto-correct got you as well. It always gets me. Welcome
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    My reading skills leave something to be desired
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I'm the MW regional webmaster and 1st Sgt. for Sherman's Bodyguard. Welcome!

Our regional recruiting officer, Ian Egbert, can be reached at ian45662@yahoo.com.

I'd also be happy to talk to you by phone, or to pass on his contact info if you PM me.

Let me give you just a brief rundown. The MW region is composed of the following teams. Most of them are open to new members.

• 19th Indiana
    • Harris Light Cavalry
    • 4th Kentucky Cavalry
    • First Rockbridge Artillery
    • 7th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
    • Sherman's Bodyguard
    • 6th Kentucky Infantry
    • 110th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
    • 11th Indiana
    • Union Guards

Of these, the largest teams are the 110th, 6th KY, and Sherman's (of which I am a member). I think. At least, based on who shows up at skirmishes.

While there are exceptions, the core membership of the teams are located in the following areas:
    Greater Cleveland: Sherman's, 4th KY
    South Central to SW OH: Union Guards, 110th
    Northern KY: 6th KY
    SW OH and Indiana: the 2 Indiana teams.

I'm not entirely sure where the 7th OH is really based, but it is a small team. Harris' light often only attends nationals. Rockbridge also often rarely attends all the regionals, but when they do they seem to pop up wherever, and they are also a small team. Ian would have more information on this if location is an issue.

Different teams have different focuses to be sure. Without a doubt the most competitive team is the 110th. You have to be a pretty great shooter to get on their A teams, but they are a welcoming group and always find a place for you on B or C teams. Within region and at nationals, the 6th is also very good. The UG and Sherman's often also get medals of some sort and are pretty close ability wise. The others- due mainly to small membership- rarely make it in the winner's circle. Great guys, just being honest.

Depending on where you are exactly, you might also consider a NWT team. The 111th OVI is based largely in the Toledo OH and southern MI area.

Naturally I have to give a plug for my team here, as I'm responding.

Sherman's is a welcoming, easy going team. We have some very good shooters mixed with average shooters and shooters who just enjoy themselves. We are reasonably competitive, we make all the shoots. We swing back and forth between an A-1 and A-2 classification on musket, carbine, and smoothbore. We don't shoot revolver in the MW that often but when we get the right group of guys on the line we can and have medaled in A-1 at nationals. We'd certainly like to talk about you joining us, but as I say, Ian is the recruiting officer (even if he is also on the Bodyguard) and he wouldn't steer you wrong if he thought another team was a better fit.

Our first shoot this year is a couple weeks before nationals at Batesville Indiana. The rest of our shoots are near Dayton at Pleasant Hill and at Centerburg.

Our webpage is located at http://mwskirmisher.org/index.html. It's fairly basic. Dates, standings, team listings, pictures, rules, some interesting links. I will have the dates for the 2019 season uploaded before the end of the month.

Finally: so far as I know, none of the MW teams actively enter artillery matches. Despite a couple having "artillery" in their title. If that's a key selling point to you, you might have to consider an out of region team, but I'd still encourage you to talk to Ian. He's a very social guy and may know who is looking for someone, or at least be able to point you to someone who can make suggestions.

Again welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions!
    Last edited by jonk; 03-23-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Team:
    Genl Wm T Sherman's Bodyguard
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Adam I got your e mail. Sent you a reply a few days ago. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions and do everything I can to help get you started. My phone number is 740 357-1415 if you would rather talk over the phone. If I don’t answer just leave a message and I will get back with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk