Thread: Questions for Garrett Sharps Owners

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Questions for Garrett Sharps Owners

I came into a very nice Garrett 1863 Sharps this week. I've shot a Smith for years, but I'm new to the Sharps game.

Does the Garrett include the floating chamber and "O" ring features that other makers include? The carbine is in great condition, but the plate on the breech will not move. I have it soaking in Kroil before I try to pry it off. Also, the breech appears to have a chamber insert, but it does not appear to "float." Should I be able to take these parts off/out as is done with the Pedersoli?

Will the Garrett benefit from any upgrades such as those offered by Mr Hahn or Lasky?

The bore is excellent with six .538 grooves. Land diameter is right at .520-.521.

Thanks for any insight!

Mark Hubbs
    Mark Hubbs,

Eras Gone Bullet Molds www.erasgonebullets.com

Visit my history/archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The Garrett has a sleeve in the breech very close to the originals. It will be very tight and almost un-movable. The breech block will have a pressure plate also very similar to originals and it will have a very snug fit. There are no o-rings in the un-modified design. The gun was made very close to the original in every way. The only exception is that some have metric threads for the clean out screw.

Removing the pressure plate is challenging on one that has been stored and shot, as is the chamber sleeve. The expansion tool offered is all but useless and you would be better off not buying one in my opinion. To have any chance to get it out involves removing the barrel from the frame, and may include machining it out in a worse case situation.

Charlie Hahn

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Charlie,

Is there really any need to remove the sleeve? I'm content to let it be if there is no need to get it out.

Thanks

Mark Hubbs
    Mark Hubbs,

Eras Gone Bullet Molds www.erasgonebullets.com

Visit my history/archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The sleeve was used to set the gap between the breech face and the block. The originals had a sleeve with a light press fit, all repros except Shiloh have a sleeve from the factory as a sliding fit. If your sleeve is positioned where the gap is less that .002 inch average you do not need to remove it, however you are going to get erosion. The design flaw from long ago positions two ridged parts, The sleeve and the pressure plate. Even with the pressure plate being a floating item in the original design it become rigid once fowling impacts the mating surface and it locks. So cleaning in some form is needed.

CH