Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please help me troubleshoot my 2 band Enfield.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I have been shooting in the N-SSA for around 50 years now and over those years, I have owned four or five P-H Naval Rifles.

MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN that all P-H Naval Rifles come from the factory with a stock that is inletted oversize for the barrel. This means that when the arm is fired, the barrel literally "flops" around in the stock. This is not nice for accuracy.

The BEST way to cure this is to simply glass bed the breech. This is legal under N-SSA rules and will do wonders for your group size. Find someone who is competent to glass bed the breech of your rifle.

IDEALLY you want a 3.5 to 4 Pound Trigger Pull weight. As long as your Trigger Pull is OVER 3 Pounds, yu are "N-SSA Legal.'

Here is a really good tutorial on how to reduce your Trigger Pull:

http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-locks.shtml

GOOD LUCK!

Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southron Sr. View Post
    I have been shooting in the N-SSA for around 50 years now and over those years, I have owned four or five P-H Naval Rifles.

MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN that all P-H Naval Rifles come from the factory with a stock that is inletted oversize for the barrel. This means that when the arm is fired, the barrel literally "flops" around in the stock. This is not nice for accuracy.

The BEST way to cure this is to simply glass bed the breech. This is legal under N-SSA rules and will do wonders for your group size. Find someone who is competent to glass bed the breech of your rifle.

IDEALLY you want a 3.5 to 4 Pound Trigger Pull weight. As long as your Trigger Pull is OVER 3 Pounds, yu are "N-SSA Legal.'

Here is a really good tutorial on how to reduce your Trigger Pull:

http://www.nwtskirmisher.com/useful-locks.shtml

GOOD LUCK!
    My teammate recommended the same thing; glass bedding. Currently I just have a few layers of paper shimming at the breach. I've been rushing to get the rifle sighted in for the April skirmish, but once that's over I'll see if someone can help me with that.

I did study the same website you recommend. But my problem is that the tumbler has already been messed with and in the wrong way. The fullcock notch doesn't have a good negative engagement. It had a mushy and light trigger (2 lbs ish). I took a dremmel and tried to add the correct angle in and now its about 5 lbs. I shoot Highpower and the rule is min of 4.5 lbs, so I have it set to 5lbs on my AR. So I'm actually pretty comfortable at the weight range.

Btw, if anyone knows of a good source of ParkerHale compatible enfield parts, please let me know!

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Obi,

First piece of advice is don't rush, even if you're going to a shoot at the end of the month. It is always harder to unfix bad fixes.

Second piece of advice is listen to Southron Sr. Most people I know who shoot Parker Hales well have glass bedded them.

Third piece of advice, before you do anything more read this article by Jeff Tanner (now deceased, but his son James is continuing the business) from England. I wouldn't do any filing on the snail or bolster (I think he covers that), I'd go right to the bedding. You can buy Acraglas from Brownells. Don't use the plain acraglas, it is very fluid and hard to control. I've had good results with Acraglas Gel. It's a stiffer consistency, easy to mix and spread.

http://www.ballmoulds.com/wp-content...18/08/577e.pdf

Ask your teammates, have any of them done any of this work?

Good luck,
    Barry Selzner

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Obi-

My PH is a P58 two band. It's also a 1st Gen assembled in Birmingham. With beeswax/lard, 575 Hogdon, 42gr 3f Old Eynsford, RWS caps, you see what it can do.

Here's the group I got with beeswax/mobil1 with the Lyman 580213. Note the width of the group but most bullets are at the bottom.

Name:  IMG_20190412_110303_1.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  915.1 KB
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Here's the Hogdon group with beeswax/mobil1. Note the two clusters in the group.

Name:  IMG_20190412_110245_1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  523.9 KB
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Is there a particular kind of lard to look for or will any commercial lard do?

Steve

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Steve-

I got cheap unsalted lard from the grocery store. It's in the aisle with Crisco and is probably right next to it on the shelf. I've used it 50/50 with beeswax. I'd imagine it'll get soft and runny in the heat down there so handle accordingly. To deal with heat issues, I got a small lunch box size cooler at a yard sale to keep the ammo in. In hot weather, I use a small ice pack to keep the ammo cool. In doing so, my ammo is always at the same temperature regardless of ambient conditions. I'm thinking it may remove, or at least hold constant, one variable.
    Rudyard Kipling

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Is there a particular kind of lard to look for or will any commercial lard do?

Steve
    Razorback lard is considered the best. It contains a higher content of acorn sap.