Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy saying Hello and with a question

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

New Guy saying Hello and with a question

Hello everyone! Been thinking about joining for some time as I see this is a good forum. Normally I hang around the Marlin Owners Forum, but am expanding my interests to Civil War guns. Eventually I'd like to get with a company do some shooting with them, but until then I'm just getting the gear together.
    Have a question: I'm getting a Parker Hale 1858 2 Band Enfield that I believe was made in England during the 70'and 80's and I wanted to see if you guys could confirm it is indeed a English made rifle. Stock has Parker Hale cartouche on the right side, Barrel is marked Parker-Hale LTD,
    Birmingham England and serial number is 37XX. Any help would be appreciated. I'll be asking more questions in the future and hope you put up with me for a bit until I know what I'm doing. I cast, load and shoot for my Shilohs, Csharps, Marlins and everything else, but you folks are the experts in these guns and I'd like to draw what I can from you. Thanks!

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaRob View Post
    Trigger, Welcome to the N-SSA!
    You would have to check it to verify it but I know there was a site where you could check the serial number to find out where it was made exactly. I will see if I can dig it up if someone doesn't beat me to it on here.

What kind of team are you looking to join? Confederate or Union?

Sounds like you are well on your way as far as the weaponry goes so what kind of gear do you feel you are lacking on?

Rob
    Hi Rob, that would be Confederate. I'm from Virginia too, currently living in Maryland for now. In a couple of years we'll be in NC. Guess I'm lacking most everything clothes wise. Have plenty of lead, powder caps ect. Where are you in Virginia?

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Welcome Triggerfinger,

Your Parker-Hale is Engish made. I also shoot a 1858 P-H Naval Rifle. Mine shoots well with the Lee Minie 500 grain bullet over 45 grains of Goex FFFg.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Hey Gil I'll also be looking into molds for this rifle as well as a Shiloh 1863 .54. Funny thing (except when I think about it) I just sold the molds I needed for these rifles a few months ago. Didn't think I was going to shoot those calibers...sometimes I work to hard against myself. On an average how many rounds do you fire during a season?

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    Depends. I shoot around 1,200 eounds per yer per gun. Your mileage may vary
    Lou Lou Lou Ruggiero
    Tammany Regt-42nd NYVI

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    Like Lou Lou said, it depends. For a musket team with 5 events, I normally shoot 8-12 shots per event, so 40-60 shots. Of course, I can always load faster and miss faster as well. I usually have 100 rounds for each shoot-musket and carbine. If you shoot individuals, you need more ammo. Ditto if you add smoothbore, repeater, etc.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I have a Pedersoli P58. I believe it has a 1:48 twist, as I recall. It does very well with the RCBS-500M and 60 grains 2F Goex. I do not shoot this gun regularly because it is a lead and powder hog - I have other guns that shoot much lighter bullets and charges. I have not found a lighter bullet/charge that works well with my P58. Like others, I make up 100 rounds per gun per skirmish. Probably end up shooting 75-85 of them depending on how many reentries I have time for.

Steve

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Sorry Gentlemen for not responding to all calls, but I havn't got the rifle in yet and I'd like to get some time to cast, load and shoot it before I do anything. I've gotten a Parker Hale .577 560 gr HB Minie Bullet Mold and saw a notice on other site that said these were for Parker Hale Navy muskets with a serial number less than 3500. The rifle I'm getting is 37XX. Anyone have any info about this? I'm sure it will probably cast and shoot fine, but wonder why the difference in serial numbers and application.

Team:
    1st Pennsylvania Cavalry
    03635V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    My first skirmish firearm (1979) was a Parker Hale P58 (the one I had was in the serial number range of 2000) and I shot a Lyman Old Style Minie with 45 grains of 3F. It shot very well. I moved on to a Springfield rifle musket as it was more comfortable to shoot (more drop in the stock).
    Mike Santarelli 03635V, Adjutant
    Member since 1979
    Co. B, 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry, #229
    National Inspector General
    Small Arms Committee

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Cool

If you're ok with the funky stock, a PH Enfield can be a great musket. My 2 band PH will put RCBS Hogdons into 2in at 100yds. That said, you still have to check the bore dia as it CAN vary from the nominal 577. Mine is 576 and I size minies to 575. I recently worked a bit with a Birmingham PH that had a 580 bore. Go figure. Gun was marked 577, but didn't shoot well at all with 575 or 576. Checked the bore and verified 580.

If you have future plans of moving to NC, there are a number of teams here, and none of them wear the "blue suit"
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor