Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help to get started...

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina

A little help to get started...

I finally have the resources to look into purchasing my first Civil War black powder musket/rifle. Originally I began my search with the only intention of using it for hunting but after having discovered this organization, I am very much interested in the competition side of it as well.

As I start into my adventure though, I find myself overwhelmed with many of the items you all discuss in this forum and I am hoping someone can help me "get started" on the right path. I look forward to getting into some of the advanced stuff, molding your own minnies for instance, but I do need that first step!

So, my first task is to purchase the rifle. I have narrowed it down to three: 1861 Springfield, 1861 Enfield, or the 1862 Richmond Rifle. Obviously I am most interested in accuracy and value. I gather from my research so far that much of the accuracy part is about powder charges and minnie type...however, my experience with modern rifles tells me equipment is important. Does anyone have a good suggestion for one of these over the other? Do reproductions from Armi Sport or the Springfield from Cabella's suffice as quality pieces?

My other question is, is my first task even on the right path! Is the rifle/musket the right choice or should I be looking for a carbine or other piece?

Thanks so much for your help...your organization seems great and I am excited to get involved!
    Mike Howell #12773
    Co. E 3rd Virginia "Cockade Rifles"

“Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.” ~ RE Lee

2. Re: A little help to get started...

where do ou live. maybe I can direct you to some help.

Region:

Re: A little help to get started...

Richmond, Virginia
    Mike Howell #12773
    Co. E 3rd Virginia "Cockade Rifles"

“Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less.” ~ RE Lee

4. Re: A little help to get started...

Lots of us around Richmond. Suggest you go to main web page (www.N-SSA.org) and look at the team roster for The Tidewater Region. You can probably find a good contact there. I'm on coast of North Carolina. A little far away. Good luck and God Bless.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

By all means, do as Joe suggested and contact members in the Richmond area. They will be happy to help you. A member helped me a lot when I was first getting started. A musket is probably the best place to start. The principal choices involve 2 vs. 3 band length, Springfield/Richmond vs. Enfield stock styles and sight type & location. It helps to handle them and discuss the pros & cons with experienced members before you decide what to buy.
    You can do this easily if you come over to Winchester to visit the Spring Nationals at Ft. Shenandoah the weekend of May 23 - 25. There will be a number of sutlers there selling guns and everything you need to shoot them. You can look them over, talk to people about them, etc. I have found prices there are as good or better than anywhere else. The sutlers set up by Thursday evening but are leaving Sunday morning, so Friday & Saturday are the main times to be there, plus you can also watch the skirmish matches.

Team:
    Winslow Battery, 1st New York
    9775V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

also dont disregard the 1842 rifled musket or the 1855 model 1 as i feel they have sight advantages that the 61 springfiled doesnt have seems that the long range sights work better for my eyes and are easier for me to sight in. the musket will take tuning and accurizing to make it competitive for our style of shooting. hope this helps
    matt
    winslows battery 9775v

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    09575v
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

If it is hunting only that you want to do it might be best to go with a Richmond Carbine from James River or S&S or a Enfield Musketoon. It can also we shot in N-SSA competition.

But as a hunting piece both barrels are short and easy to lug through the woods and have good accuracy.
    Joe Plakis XXVIII
    Middle-Atlantic Region
    SAC
    9575V

"Great leadership does not mean running away from reality. Sometimes the hard truths might just demoralize the company, but at other times sharing difficulties can inspire people to take action that will make the situation better." John Kotter

Region:

Going to the Nationals is excellent advice. You could also come up this weekend to the Potomac Regional. There won't be any (maybe one) sutlers but you could get a chance to hold, feel and shoulder a number of various types of guns and see a Skirmish. You can spend the night in our bunk house, plenty of room. We'll even feed you.

Our team, Cockade Rifles, is based out of Petersburg but we have members all over several states. I'm in Chesapeake but we have several in the Hopewell, Chester, Richmond area.

Fell free to contact me if you like.

phlampman@cox.net
    757-535-7393
    Paul Lampman, 00263V
    Cockade Rifles

Team:
    4th Virginia Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

It can't be overemphasized that you need to talk to some skirmishers BEFORE you buy anything. You'll be much happier if you wait to find a quality rifle at the price you're willing to pay than to buy a rifle, learn about its shortcomings the hard way, and try to modify it to suit your needs (competition or hunting).
    I'm brand new to the organization, will be shooting in the Spring National next month. I bought a reproduction 1861 for hunting last year, had some trouble with accuracy, and was invited by a former teacher to last years Fall Nationals. I ended up building a musket from parts, several of which I picked up from Sutler's Row at the Fort. The repro is now awaiting its fate in a closet.
    I tried to mine the web for info, but a long weekend at the Fort at the Nationals is much more efficient, and you can see the results.
    BTW, my former teacher is in the Allegheny Region, and I live in New England, so I had to look for a team cold. This requires some patience and persistance. Several of the links for teams in the region were no longer valid. I ended up sending an e-mail to the regional commander, asking about teams looking for members. I was able to attend a team meeting for the 4th Virginia, and was invited to join.
    Its been my experience that the N-SSA represents some of the best offhand shooters I've ever seen. A lot of these expert shooters do not post on the internet. The regional matches and the Nationals are the best places to meet and to learn.
    Also, my Springfield will be coming into the woods with me this Fall. Please send a private message if my recent experience in joing an N-SSA team can be of help to you.
    Jon Faucher
    Shoot the brave officers, and the cowards will run away and take the men with them. -Jackson

Region:

Give me a call. I am in Chester. I am a member of the Cockade Rifles. I would be glad to share any knowledge I have with you. I have quite a variety of muskets, and carbines, and revolvers. I have been skirmishing for 42 years so I have picked up a few hints.

Fletcher Pastore

748-2881
    Fletcher Pastore
    Cockade Rifles