Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lorenz rifle advice

Team:
    1st Stuart Horse Artillery
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Exclamation Lorenz rifle advice

I just bought the new Pedersoli type 2 Lorenz rifled musket. I need help and advice on bullets selection. I've tried old style Minie with many powders and charges but no good groups. I read a couple of Don Dixson posts on line but didn't quite get the specifics I needed. Any help here would greatly appreciated.

Region:
    What size bullet? The Pedersolis should be .547, meaning you need a .546 bullet.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Lap out a Lyman #54 minie to be a few thousandths bigger?

Or you could send a mold off to have it enlarged by precision grinding to be exactly the size you want.
    If you find a used mold at the right price and send it off to be altered then it actually is no more expensive than having one made. And if you already have the mold it's a real good way to go.
    Have done that with oversized bores, .58 and .69.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    Region:

Lorenz rifle

I already have a .548 Moose old style Minie mould and lubersizer. Even though the mould works fine etc. I'm convinced the Minie is not for this rifle. The original bullets we're more like a Wilkenson but paper patched. Since we can't use PP bullets I need input on a better bullet design. Thanks guys.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Pedersoli makes a special mould for their Lorenz. Suggest you contact a Pedersoli distributor and get one of those moulds. You need their .547 bullet mould.

https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sch...leloading.html

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    wcameron,

The Austrian Army ordnance specification for Muster 1854 System Lorenz rifles was essentially .547inches/13.8 mm. Pedersoli has made their Muster 1854, Type II, reproduction rifle in that caliber. Having said that, I think that you have essentially two choices for bullet moulds, both from Pedrsoli:

Pedersoli makes a .547 Minie style mould - USA 302-547 - for their Muster 1857 Württembergischen reproduction rifles. I've tried it, and it works quite well in original .547 Muster 1854 rifles.

Pedersoli also says they make a System Lorenz mould - USA 303-547 Lorenz - to accompany their reproduction Lorenz [its posted in their on-line catalog]. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, and I haven't been able to find any photos or drawings of the resulting bullet. So, I don't know if is a full sized .547 bullet, or one that they intend to be shot paper patched as was the original. I also don't know if it has one or two compression groves. From taking with people when Pedersoli's reproduction project was in the design stages, I am under the impression that the mould was designed to be full sized and shot without a patch.

If you get the second mould, and it produces a full sized compression bullet intended to be shot without a patch, please see my suggestions on how to load and shoot compression bullets of Ritter von Lorenz's design - incorrectly called "Wilkinson" bullets - which were posted earlier on this site.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V
    Last edited by Don Dixon; 12-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.

Team:
    Region:

Lorenz rifle

Hi Don,
    I was hoping you'd see my question. I've read several of your posts concerning this rifle and it's bullets on other sites. My confusion is how to lube the compression type bullet. I assume you don't put lube in the compression grooves, correct?
    Dixie Gun works has a double compression groove bullet they claim is for this rifle. Moose also has a single groove bullet they say is for this rifle also. I've been trying to contact Moose for over a week now with no response. Thanks for your imput,. Wayne

Team:
    Region:

Lorenz rifle

Don,
    The Dixie Gun Lorenz mould is CA1410. Let me know what you think. The Moose Lorenz mould is not on their website but they sent me pictures of it with bullets about a month ago. I don't know how to get the pictures on this thread.

Wayne

Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    I purchased one of Moose's .548 Wilkinson moulds at this past Fall Nationals and have tried it in a Jaegerstutzen with an original bore and it shoots superbly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Team:
    Region:

Lorenz rifle

Thanks for that info about the Moose mould. I've been trying to contact Moose to get one but they haven't responded.