Thread: 4th Missouri Cavalry

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

4th Missouri Cavalry

I've found my great, great grandfather and his brother both served in the 4th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. I'm curious as to how they'd have been equipped and what their uniforms would look like. Both were Privates although the brother made Corporal.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Should have been more specific. It was the 4th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry ---- Union

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Yakiman,

According to Frederick Todd, in the last volume of "American Military Equipage - 1851-1872" which covers State Forces, the 4th Missouri, Militia, Cavalry (Union) was issued Austrian rifles, Savage army and navy revolvers and Model 1840 sabers in 1862. In 1863 they received "some" Gallagher carbines. As for uniforms, he states they ".... were issued U.S. Army uniforms and accoutrements and were maintained on the same level as volunteer commands."

I hope this helps,
    Barry S.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by geezmo View Post
    Yakiman,

According to Frederick Todd, in the last volume of "American Military Equipage - 1851-1872" which covers State Forces, the 4th Missouri, Militia, Cavalry (Union) was issued Austrian rifles, Savage army and navy revolvers and Model 1840 sabers in 1862. In 1863 they received "some" Gallagher carbines. As for uniforms, he states they ".... were issued U.S. Army uniforms and accoutrements and were maintained on the same level as volunteer commands."

I hope this helps,
    Barry S.
    Thank you very much. Is it odd at all that a cavalry unit was issued rifles, not carbines?

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Yak,

Not at all odd, especially with western units, particularly early in the war. Some were even issued muskets. I forget the particulars, but I read once of a western cavalry outfit getting smoothbore flint muskets. That was very early and they only had them for a very short time.

Eggman,

Folks down your way don't know me. But, there are people up here in the New England Region who would tell you I can be quite offensive. I just try to be on my best behavior when I'm on the bulletin board. I don't want to get "spoken to".

BS