Thread: Anyone with image zoom software - verify assembly numbers on two Merrill parts

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Anyone with image zoom software - verify assembly numbers on two Merrill parts

I bought an 1863 Merrill carbine this past March or so, and have had great fun restoring it and finding out about all the firearms by James H. Merrill. One of my efforts is to document assembly/batch(?) numbers, based on the 300+ that I have captured online image/description-wise, plus several individual contributions.

I have two part assembly numbers - 8 over 43 for the barrel, receiver, lever, plunger, buttplate; 4 over 43 for the lockplate backside, hammer, sear, trigger guard, trigger plate. It didn't have the barrel band or rear sight. I can see the 43 on the saddle bar, but nothing resolute enough to determine if there's a 3 or an 8 or nothing above it. As for my plunger copper face, I spent several hours trying to soak the plunger with PB Blaster and free it from being rusted in the breech, She finally broke free, but could have been my tapping with my 1/2" x 3' steel rod that damaged the face and any trace of the part assembly number. Can anyone take closer looks with any imaging software that would allow for better resolution? Name:  IMG_4032.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  551.0 KBName:  1523911646704.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  9.3 KBName:  IMG_4043.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  501.6 KB

Thanks, Eric.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I recommend you purchase one of those cheap USB microscopes for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/Jiusion-Magni.../dp/B06WD843ZM

Steve

Region:
    Visitor
    There is an chemical that you can buy ( don't recall what it is called, maybe someone on the BB knows ) that will bring out the numbers and lettering on metal that has been removed. You use to be able to buy it at coin stores.
    Last edited by Ron The Old Reb; 11-21-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come