Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Solid Frame Revolvers Really More Accurate????

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Are Solid Frame Revolvers Really More Accurate????

The "traditional wisdom" is that solid frame revolvers (like the Remmie and Whitney revolvers) are more accurate than the Colt "open top" revolvers.

Apparently, this belief goes back to at least the late 1860's-early 1870's because when Colt submitted an open top, metallic cartridge firing, revolver to the Ordnance Department's trials for a new revolver in the early 1870's, the Ordnance Department told Colt that they wanted a "solid frame" revolver and nothing else.

Hence, Colt hurriedly designed their famous "Peacemaker" and that is the one that was submitted to the Ordnance Department trials and subsequently adopted by the army in 1873.

It would be interesting if someone with access to a Ranson Rest were to test three replica "open top revolvers" and three "solid frame" revolvers and see which group gave the tightest groups.

Such a teat would confirm IF solid frame revolvers were more or less accurate than open top revolvers.

Inquiring minds would like to know!

What do you think?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've got (or had) several reproduction revolvers. I currently have a stainless 1858 (I think it is Uberti), a Pietta 1860, a Pietta Spiller and Burr, a Pietta 1851, a Uberti Walker. I had a pair of brass-framed .44 "1851" revolvers, which I sold, and I had a blued Uberti 1858 which I sent out for accurizing and never got it back.

I have not really been impressed with the out-of-the-box accuracy of any of them, despite bench load workup work. But, I don't feel like I have done enough exhaustive load workup work. For example, I once got a clover-leaf group out of the Walker, but have not been able to duplicate it.

That said, my first and only National medals were with a bone stock Pietta 1860, and I took local medals with it including a 48 at 50 yards at Eva a few weekends ago. The load is 18 grains 3F Goex with a .457 cast (Lee) round ball, shot sprue-up. .454 will shave lead; I just shoot .457 because the Walker needs it and it's easier to stock one size.

I think the key to any firearm's reproducible accuracy is mechanical integrity. If you have a properly-sized arbor that bottoms out where it should, then an open-top revolver should be able to have good mechanical integrity. However, I think the solid-framed revolver is naturally more mechanically stable by design.

Steve

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Smile

There are a lot of differences between the open tops and the solid frame guns that would make it challenging to set up such a test. I, for one, am not interested in how well a gun shoots from a rest but from how well it shoots in your hand. The open frame revolvers that I have shot were Colts that have the rear sight notch cut into the hammer. So when you pull the trigger, your rear sight picture disappears. Using target loads with an open frame revolver would probably not put any real stress on the frame, where full service loads like 30 grains with a conical bullet might. With the Colt revolvers you have a wedge that must be adjusted properly for the correct gap between the barrel and the cylinder. Also, you would probably want to load the open top revolver on a stand since you don't want to keep taking the wedge in and out.

I have owned 4 repro Colts including a Walker, 3rd Dragoon, 1860 Army, and 1851 Navy. I still have the Uberti Dragoon, but haven't shot it in a long time. It is just too heavy for enjoyable one hand shooting and I am currently focused on trying to get better with some other pistols shooting with one hand. The Pietta Navy Colt clearly needed some work as the chambers shot to different points, but it grouped very nicely with 4 of the 6. The Army, which was a second generation Colt had to go back to the factory for a repair immediately, but after that, it shot really well. It held beautifully, but the disappearing rear sight and loading were issues for competition. It was as accurate as any other CW pistol that I have shot.

With revolvers, what loads and shoots well for you is what is important. Both the open frame and solid frame guns should be accurate enough for competition if properly set up. The real issues are sighting, holding, and follow through. For me, the choice was a Remington.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA from 2000 to 2024

Team:
    Wheat's Louisiana Tigers
    2881V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    Yes.

Regards,
    Don Dixon
    2881V

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Let's think this through. A solid-frame revolver has the front sight, rear sight, and barrel mounted together in a fixed relationship to each other. An open-top revolver is relying on the mechanical fit of the barrel to the frame, and the hammer to the frame, to control the relative positions of front and rear sights.

Which is a lot trickier to get right. I know that Andy Baumkircher claims to be able to do it, but I'm sticking to my Remingtons for the time being.
    Support the USIMLT! Help your fellow Skirmishers go for the gold! www.usimlt.com

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Well gee golly I wish I had the photograph of me (1977) holding up the field mouse shot at Gunsight, Texas with a Navy Arms 1861.
    The running one shot kill of such dangerous game is testimony enough for me of Col. Colt's designs.
    No doubt the heavy conicals being used assured penetration on that shoulder shot, dropping the beast in mid stride.

OK, all joking aside, a well built Colt will out shoot a well built Remington if (big word) it suits the shooter.
    If the Remington suits the shooter then Remington it is. It's all a matter of common denominators.
    But if I was creeping up on the east side of a cow pond trying to put a duck in the stew pot I'd rather have a Colt.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbler View Post
    Well gee golly I wish I had the photograph of me (1977) holding up the field mouse shot at Gunsight, Texas with a Navy Arms 1861.
    The running one shot kill of such dangerous game is testimony enough for me of Col. Colt's designs.
    No doubt the heavy conicals being used assured penetration on that shoulder shot, dropping the beast in mid stride.
    You do realize we all know YOU are the only one that knows where the sights were pointing when the shot dropped that beast.

Some people I know call it "As long as there is lead in the air, you've got a chance."
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    In my opinion, the open top revolvers are made for the purpose of hitting body mass, not the X-Ring. Who wants to shoot for the X-Ring with a revolver whose rear sight disappears before the revolver goes off? That gives a whole new meaning to "follow-through"!

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Competing with Replica Arms .36 cal Navy, Fort Ridgely, Minnesota shoot 1972. Only took me six shots to get five counters. Tied for third. Some other guy got trophy -- some bizaaro rule about better group.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    WOW.......1972.......the 3rd quarter of the last Century! Seriously, nice shooting!