Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Getting Started With Cavalry Carbines...

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    You need only look online to see the price folks are asking to know that Rob's Burnside is a great price. If I didn't already have three......
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Samuel,

I have yet to get a truly great load for my Burnside, but to date, my best experience has been with an old Ideal (Lyman) 557456. Before that, I had tried Accurate Molds 56-340B and 56-450B and .562 Roundballs. I could not get it to shoot the 56-340B worth a darn. I had some marginal success with roundballs and the 56-450B. I'm still working with the 557456, but it looks more promising than the others. Unfortunately, that mould is no longer produced. You might find one for sale used, but you have to look for them.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Samuel,

I have yet to get a truly great load for my Burnside, but to date, my best experience has been with an old Ideal (Lyman) 557456. Before that, I had tried Accurate Molds 56-340B and 56-450B and .562 Roundballs. I could not get it to shoot the 56-340B worth a darn. I had some marginal success with roundballs and the 56-450B. I'm still working with the 557456, but it looks more promising than the others. Unfortunately, that mould is no longer produced. You might find one for sale used, but you have to look for them.
    Alright, thanks. I was originally planning to go with the Accurate 56-450B, I heard it worked well. I guess I will keep looking for something, mabey a Lyman mold as you said if I can find one. If anyone else has experience with these bullets, let me know about it!
    Thanks

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Samuel,

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Accurate 56-450B. It may well work for you. I suspect my problem with it is that when I size them (Or any other for that matter) down enough to get them in the brass case, I SUSPECT it may be a little smaller than the groove diameter of the rifle. Hard to say, since measuring the 3 groove rifling is not that easy to do. I'm not getting leading, but I'm not getting tight groups either. If you have a lathe or are willing to pay someone who does, you might consider a similar mould that Accurate offers. It's the same bullet, but the mould is bored thru so you can put a base plug in it, but I don't think they offer the base plug. You would have to make one or have one made. This allows you to use different custom built plugs to adjust the bullet length and also experiment with hollow bases, all with the same mould. The hollow base was what made me want the 557456, theory being, it would swell upon firing to fully engage the rifling but be small enough to go in my cases. You can do the same with this other Accurate mould I am talking about. I don't remember the number for sure. It may have just had the B removed from the end or maybe had another letter added. I don't remember now. That was my plan if I hadn't found the 557456.

I could send you some 56-450B's to try, but I can't swear when I can do that. If you are interested, let me know and I will try to make time to cast some.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Samuel,

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Accurate 56-450B. It may well work for you. I suspect my problem with it is that when I size them (Or any other for that matter) down enough to get them in the brass case, I SUSPECT it may be a little smaller than the groove diameter of the rifle. Hard to say, since measuring the 3 groove rifling is not that easy to do. I'm not getting leading, but I'm not getting tight groups either. If you have a lathe or are willing to pay someone who does, you might consider a similar mould that Accurate offers. It's the same bullet, but the mould is bored thru so you can put a base plug in it, but I don't think they offer the base plug. You would have to make one or have one made. This allows you to use different custom built plugs to adjust the bullet length and also experiment with hollow bases, all with the same mould. The hollow base was what made me want the 557456, theory being, it would swell upon firing to fully engage the rifling but be small enough to go in my cases. You can do the same with this other Accurate mould I am talking about. I don't remember the number for sure. It may have just had the B removed from the end or maybe had another letter added. I don't remember now. That was my plan if I hadn't found the 557456.

I could send you some 56-450B's to try, but I can't swear when I can do that. If you are interested, let me know and I will try to make time to cast some.
    I would love some bullets to try. You can take your time, I don't have the Carbine yet. So does the 56-450B need sized to help it fit the brass? I have no experience sizing bullets, the only bullet I cast is the sub caliber teardrop bullet for the Dreyse Needle gun. Absolutely no sizing required. I will also look for the other mold you are talking about.

Team:
    Chesapeake Artillery, 4th Maryland Artillery
    6649V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

loads for Burnside

I have found a load that works well in two of my Burnsides. I use a .550RB, yes .550!. I use the nylon/plastic white tubes and use 33 -35 grains of FFF. I tried using a bullet for years but never hit near as much with the Rapine as I did the RB. Don't forget to cover the flash hole either inside or out.

If you wanta join our unit, I could give you the member discount on one and show you the ropes for a couple skirmishes. or is it skirmisihi?

I have a second model, two fourth models and seven fifth models.

Tom Kelley
    Chesapeake Artillery, 4th MD Artillery CSA