Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burnside Minies Question?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I shot the .562 round ball. I just didn't force them down into the case so much as I 'wedged' them in there. They aren't seated all the way in, just kinda sitting on top. They don't come out and you have to use pliers to pull one.

Team:
    108th NY Volunteer Infantry
    NA
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    I shot the .562 round ball. I just didn't force them down into the case so much as I 'wedged' them in there. They aren't seated all the way in, just kinda sitting on top. They don't come out and you have to use pliers to pull one.
    Thanks Hal! I can't wait to get my mold!
    Thanks for your input!
    Shooting a piece of C.W. history is just nothing but the BEST!
    Was reading, approx. 53,000 made of a 100,000 contract.
    Mine is 33,000.
    All matching numbers!
    She's been used and abused, but I LOVE her!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2horses; 10-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    My first breechloader was a Burnside, and I’ve had a few more since then.

If the breechblock serial number matches the rest of the gun, cartridges should fit fine and not leak. If the block has been replaced, there can be problems.

The brass cases from 30 years ago did not fit the chamber particularly well. They would blow out the case mouths with heavy loads. That said, I still have some of those old cases and they have been loaded well over 50 times. The newer cases fit great and will last many years of skirmishing. If you are planning to skirmish with it as your primary carbine, invest in brass cases.

I have fooled with round ball loads and never had much luck. Four or five shots would hit right next to each other, then a round would go completely wild.

The Rapine Burnside bullet (and its clones from other mold makers) shoots better in Merrills than Burnsides. It’s too light. My best results have been with bullets around 400 grains. Accurate Molds makes several Burnside molds. 56-390, 56-450 and 56-450BN work well. 56-450BN is a hollow base and you have to make the base pin, so it’s not exactly easy to get working. Longer bullets may hang up when closing the action. The 56-450 has this problem with some carbines. If that happens, take out the breechblock guide screw on the right side of the frame. That allows the breech to open a little farther.

An issue that sometimes come up is that the barrel grooves were individually cut. Some can be deeper than others. One carbine I worked on had one groove that wanted a 0.562” bullet. Bullets that big won’t fit in a cartridge. A soft cast hollow base bullet is the only way to go if you have this problem.

The other consideration with Burnsides is the weird stock. It doesn’t hold like any other carbine. You really need to shoot it a lot to get good with it. When I was only shooting a Burnside, I did pretty well with it. When I was shooting it as a backup, my hit times went way down.

Overall, it is a fun carbine on the line.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Sounds like the Ideal 557456 minie was made for the Burnside.

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Jeff Tanner can make you a round ball mould in ANY SIZE

Although he is located in England, just let him know what size mould you need, pay him and he will airmail the mould to you in a week or so. I have purchased several moulds from him and am very happy with his moulds and service:

http://www.ballmoulds.com/

Team:
    108th NY Volunteer Infantry
    NA
    Region:
    Allegheny - Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Southron Sr. View Post
    Although he is located in England, just let him know what size mould you need, pay him and he will airmail the mould to you in a week or so. I have purchased several moulds from him and am very happy with his moulds and service:

http://www.ballmoulds.com/
    Thanks for the TIP!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Burnside round size

I've slugged my 5th model Burnside and found it to be .560 max (bottom of groove to bottom of groove). THATS why one shoots a .562 roundball - but it doesn't want to fit well into a brass case (.556 I.D.) and will swell the case mouth if forced. So I used an adjustable reamer to get .562 I.D. -- a touchy job so I 'hand reamed' it with a shop-made case holder. (piece of 1/2" copper plumbing tube with a couple slits in the end and a pipe clamp on the outside to tighten the holder onto the narrow lip behind the 'swell' near the case mouth. Yes, the case mouth is very thin after this (had to sand slightly so as not to cut myself on the case mouth), but I also lathe cut .030 wide copper rings from the copper tube, then soldered them behind the 'swell' at the case mouth so it will properly 'fill' the semi-circular profile near the case mouth when the action is closed. I had to solder .030 #8 brass washers onto the base of each case to get the Overall case length up to 1.870 +/- .005. This also fits my action and fully seats the sliding piece holding the nipple when the action is closed. Soooo, a conical round needs to be at least .001 larger than the maximum bore size, ergo .562 is also good. This is why so many burnside conical rounds don't shoot well - they don't swage properly to the bore when fired and there is too much blow-by. Accurate molds are .560 O.D. - but if the mold is heated-up good, they can come out .561, which will be OK. The longer one is too big to chamber properly, so I milled off some from mine and the results are better (but still not there yet). The bullet weight is now 415 grains (was 435), but I believe that something around 390 - 400 grains will work better. BTW, my .452 roundball load is with 37.5 gr. 3F (drop tube), with a styrofoam wad pressed over that, and a dab of lithium grease - all in the black at 50 yds. I'd like to try the nylon tubes .... why not?

Team:
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Accurate Molds LLC makes a great mold for the burnsides, Sigle Cavity cost me 81.50 shipped to my door. It casts a very nice bullet. You can get different sizes, I went with the .562 based on having slugged the bore with some .562 Burnsides I had bought online.
    Daryl Noonan
    NSSA # 14002
    12th Regiment US Regular Infantry

"You see in this world there are two types of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig!!"