Thread: Maynard

Team:
    5th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    10609V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

Maynard

Minimum and maximum space between barrel and receiver closed? Without case one chamber

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The headspace should be .031". If it's as tight as .029" it may close on some cases and over about .034" you'll get blowby at the case head. Minor excess headspace can be solved by seating the bullet out so it engraves the rifling upon closing the action. This seats the cartridge rim firmly against the breech face. I've seen some strange things done to try to correct headspace. Do NOT install a bushing in the oblong hole in the front lug to set the barrel back. This only bends the front pivot screw and doesn't solve anything as the excess headspace soon returns and then the screw is very difficult to remove. The hole in the front is supposed to be oblong. The picture shows a method I've used to correct excess headspace. It does not show on the outside and seats the lugs on the barrel solidly to the frame for a permanent fix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team:
    5th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
    10609V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bly View Post
    The headspace should be .031". If it's as tight as .029" it may close on some cases and over about .034" you'll get blowby at the case head. Minor excess headspace can be solved by seating the bullet out so it engraves the rifling upon closing the action. This seats the cartridge rim firmly against the breech face. I've seen some strange things done to try to correct headspace. Do NOT install a bushing in the oblong hole in the front lug to set the barrel back. This only bends the front pivot screw and doesn't solve anything as the excess headspace soon returns and then the screw is very difficult to remove. The hole in the front is supposed to be oblong. The picture shows a method I've used to correct excess headspace. It does not show on the outside and seats the lugs on the barrel solidly to the frame for a permanent fix.
    Thank you. I just checked my Maynard and it is a tight .29”