Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spencer Rifle conversion to centerfire.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Spencer Rifle conversion to centerfire.

I am seeking guidance on whether to proceed with purchasing the hardware to convert my original civil war Spencer for center-fire. I see that Buffalo Arms offers the breech block modification, but I noticed on their website that they only offer 56-50 cartridges. I will not proceed on this without some solid input from people who have done this. Does anyone make 56-56 centerfire cartridges? If only 56-50 are available, could the copper shells be sized to take the larger round? Or would firing a 56-50 round work ok accepting the fact that accuracy may suffer. I will be at the fall nationals and can anyone recommend who I might talk to for guidance?
    Thanks, Peter Chandler

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, Peter:

Most opt for 56-50 because of inherently better accuracy via the inside lubed bullet.

Both 56-56 and 56-50 CASES are available from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.
    Google for phone and Kody should answer. Be VERY sure of what case you inquire.
    There are DIFFERENT "original" and "repro" chamber dimensions.

Caution:
    Larry told and emailed me that he does not have a reamer for the STARLINE 56-50 case.
    There are posts that infer that he does and that he has special bore dim's for lined barrels that use STARLINE cases. Larry INSISTS that all his Spencer bores whether in lined or new barrels, have the same chambers and bore dimensions!

Bullets for either case are varied. Dies should be from CH4D. Avoid Lyman's

Others here can add specifics. I will be at the Oct Natl's and happy to share more.
    PM me here if want to meet there.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny
    Last edited by Kevin Tinny; 01-27-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I would give some consideration to what your objective(s) is/are. There are very few Spencer teams (2) in the N-SSA despite there being a match for them. As for individuals, you'll be shooting against a few Spencers and a lot of Henrys. The Henry shooters kill. We have a guy in the Deep South - Hoot - that's deadly, but nobody else, myself included.
    That all said, the Spencer is a marvelous specimen representing the transition from bassackward super primitive technology to modern super efficient killing machines. You can get rimfire cases (I make them) from Dixie Gun Works that employ a .22 blank for primer, but the .22 must be properly aligned with the firing bar. You can compete in individuals with this, but of course team shooting (loading thru the magazine) is out of the question.

Team:
    Region:

Hello Kevin, Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Tinny View Post
    Hello, Peter:

Most opt for 56-50 because of inherently better accuracy via the inside lubed bullet.

Both 56-56 and 56-50 CASES are available from Rocky Mountain Cartridge.
    Google for phone and Kody should answer. Be VERY sure of what case you inquire.
    There are DIFFERENT "original" and "repro" chamber dimensions.

Bullets for either case are varied. Dies should be from CH4D. Avoid Lyman's

Others here can add specifics. I will be at the Oct Natl's and happy to share more.
    PM me here if want to meet there.

Regards,

Kevin Tinny
    Kevin I plan to be at the National on Friday and Saturday the 5th and 6th. I would like to meet you. I appreciate your comments and will follow up, based on your recommendations.
    Peter Chandler

Team:
    Region:

Hello Eggman

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I would give some consideration to what your objective(s) is/are. There are very few Spencer teams (2) in the N-SSA despite there being a match for them. As for individuals, you'll be shooting against a few Spencers and a lot of Henrys. The Henry shooters kill. We have a guy in the Deep South - Hoot - that's deadly, but nobody else, myself included.
    That all said, the Spencer is a marvelous specimen representing the transition from bassackward super primitive technology to modern super efficient killing machines. You can get rimfire cases (I make them) from Dixie Gun Works that employ a .22 blank for primer, but the .22 must be properly aligned with the firing bar. You can compete in individuals with this, but of course team shooting (loading thru the magazine) is out of the question.
    My objective is really just to have the satisfaction that the gun fires ok and to enjoy the experience. As with my Sharps, I do not plan to fire this gun on a regular basis. Most of the time my guns live on the wall as a fine decoration and a talking piece. Like the typical N-SSA member, there is a soft spot in my heart for all those men who had to endure the war, and having this experience will bring me a little closer to what they lived through and died for. So it is mostly just for that.

Thanks for your comments!
    Peter Chandler

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    You need to look at Buffalo arms website again. They do sell 56-56 Spencer brass. It's cut down 57-70 brass. They also sell the moulds and die sets.
    That breach block can be used in both the 56-56 and 56-50 Spencer's so if you decide on an 1865 Spencer later on you can just swap them.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Check over on the CAS City Spencer forum: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,35.0.html

There is a lot of information posted on converting 56-56 to centerfire. They are a lot of fin to shoot!

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello, Peter:

PM'd you w Fort contact, rendezvous and other info. Will bring sample cases, bullets and loaded ctg's. Sit tight and don't buy stuff yet.

Kevin

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    My objective is really just to have the satisfaction that the gun fires ok and to enjoy the experience. As with my Sharps, I do not plan to fire this gun on a regular basis. Most of the time my guns live on the wall as a fine decoration and a talking piece. Like the typical N-SSA member, there is a soft spot in my heart for all those men who had to endure the war, and having this experience will bring me a little closer to what they lived through and died for. So it is mostly just for that.

Thanks for your comments!
    Peter Chandler
    Hi again Peter,
    Back in the 70's before the advent of the conversion blocks, the .22 primed rimfire we make was the only solution for firing these old irons. The recommended bullet was a .52 or .56 round ball depending on bore stuffed in the end of the case, preferably sprueless (from Lee), accompanied with a good glob of lube. This is/was a very good plunking round at VERY LOW COST. I'm not sure you need a 500 horse Indy car for plunking around on the farm.

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hi again Peter,
    Back in the 70's before the advent of the conversion blocks, the .22 primed rimfire we make was the only solution for firing these old irons. The recommended bullet was a .52 or .56 round ball depending on bore stuffed in the end of the case, preferably sprueless (from Lee), accompanied with a good glob of lube. This is/was a very good plunking round at VERY LOW COST. I'm not sure you need a 500 horse Indy car for plunking around on the farm.
    Just realized I mixed my metaphors here. Sorry to all you literate fellas and gals.