Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spencer Rifle conversion to centerfire.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Thanks Eggman!

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Just realized I mixed my metaphors here. Sorry to all you literate fellas and gals.

I am not sure yet which way to go, be it a modified block or some 22's to use rimfire and get your point. Indeed, all I really intend to do is take a few shot just for the fun of it. The best rifle in the world will not help my eyesight and if I just hit the paper, it is better satisfaction than the next guy scoring a bunch of bulls-eyes.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

I'd be surprised.........

If it was really a 56-56. Do most folks realize that the diameters are all the same? Its just the length of the case or the crimp at the end to hold the bullet in that makes the difference? Oh, don't we have a Spencer match separate from the Henrys ?
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Another possible alternative would be to have a new barrel made for your Spencer rifle and have it chambered for .56-50. Depending on how much you think you might be shooting, you could order 1,000 .56-50 cases from Starline which would be chambered to fit the new barrel, and would work with either the M1860 or M1865 action. You could also go in with other .56-50 shooters to reduce the expense. My M1860 Spencer Rifle had been cut-down to carbine length, and rather than having the original barrel restored to full length, Larry Romano made me a new barrel for $800 that allowed me to restore the rifle back to full length. As far as accuracy goes, my first three shots at 50 yards (at the National) were two 10's about an inch apart, with an X in the middle. Too bad those were in the sighter.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cobb 1723V View Post
    If it was really a 56-56. Do most folks realize that the diameters are all the same? Its just the length of the case or the crimp at the end to hold the bullet in that makes the difference? Oh, don't we have a Spencer match separate from the Henrys ?
    The diameters of the cases are close, but not the same. The 56-56 case is shorter than the 56-50 case . The bullets are very different though. The 56-56 bullet is larger in diameter and also healed .
    You could shoot a 56-56 round through a 56-50 without any real problem. The 56-50 bullet isn't recommended to be fired from a 56-56 as the bullet is smaller than bore diameter.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Your right

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Read the post again Bruce --- two Spencer teams for the TEAM match; shoot against the Henrys in individuals.
    Yes, My apologizes
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    At the Spring Nationals there were SIX teams registered for the Spencer Match (though two scratched because of the weather). It’s growing in popularity.
    I applaud anyone who has an interest in shooting Spencers. The Spencer is the only Civil War gun that was personally tested and endorsed by Abraham Lincoln- how can you get more historical than that??
    Glenn M. Kaye
    73rd New York Volunteer Infantry

Eggman is offline Banned
    Team:
    Iredell Blues
    7786v
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    The Dixie Spencers with .22 blank primers use original dimensions - .56" external diameter, .52" internal.