Thread: Powder charge for Sharps nm1859

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware

Powder charge for Sharps nm1859

Here is a hypothetical situation.

Given that the breech of the nm1859 Sharps will carry as much as 90 grains of 2fg to fill it completely (not counting the additional void in the breech block), and given that a load of say 50 grains is actually used, it follows that there will be plenty of air space once the breech-block is closed.

My question is: Is there likely to be any tendency for misfire, if say before firing, the gun is tilted muzzle down so all the powder runs toward the slug, or conversely, if the muzzle is pointed up, causing the powder to collect around the nozzle of the breech-block. Bringing the gun to horizontal to fire will allow some of the powder to roll towards a flat state, but that will not happen completely. The bottom line is that in one case you will have more powder towards the slug and in the other, more will be to the rear.

Has anyone noticed a problem or difference in performance either way?

Peter Chandler

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    It's gonna go off either way. If you're looking for tack driving accuracy, I'd make sure I were consistent in the handling of it. I would NOT point it muzzle up for fear the bullet would fall back into the chamber unless you wedge it in there pretty good before adding powder.

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    There are issues with loose powder. If you use a safe charge, (less than 64 grains) Typically between 35 and 40 for our sport, you will get a variation as you are side lighting the charge and the internal pressure climb can be different. I learned this when my paper cartridge was tested by Gun's Magazine.

The best ignition for a black powder charge is base center. The linen cartridge the old guys went with provided this improvement in reliability and better groups.

You should consider either making a paper cartridge that will present the charge to the breech block in the same position each time. With a percussion Sharps filling the chamber is not important as it is with a musket, or metallic cartridge unit.

If you need help making up a cartridge and would like to talk through the process and materials, please give me a call.

Charlie Hahn
    410-627-4726