Thread: Sharps and Hankins in .44

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Sharps and Hankins in .44

I found a Sharps and Hankins in .44 caliber. It is also center fire does not look as if it was ever rimfire. The barrel is rifled. It appears to be all original.

Any idea what cartridge this would be. If I get it it I would like to shoot it.

Thanks

Lost

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

44 cal

I saw one at the Mansfield Ohio Civil War Show years ago. Don't remember if it was 44 wcf or rimfire. I was told it was aftermarket as a way to get sell them. Please send me phone photo. look at your PM
    N-SSA Member since 1974

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I did some research in my Flayderman's and online, looking at all of the models produced under the Sharps name. The 3 Sharps & Hankins models were all made in .52 rimfire under wartime contracts. Flayderman mentions some experimental variants in other calibers.

Update:
    I checked my copy of "Civil War Carbines" for more info. On 15 Dec. 1863, General Ramsey ordered 12 carbines, 6 in 30 caliber and 6 in 44 caliber. All of the 44 caliber cartridges were rimfire. So if you have a centerfire carbine, it is not one of the experimental carbines in this order.
    Last edited by Jim Wimbish, 10395; 09-11-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA from 2000 to 2024

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    According to Frank Sellers, on p.171 of his book Sharps Firearms, "... experimental carbines delivered to Springfield Armory in 1864 and 1865 were numbered from 6,200 to 6,229 inclusively. Nothing is presently known of the Smooth-bore .30 and .42 calibers. .44 calibers were chambered for .44/40, .44/45, .44/50, .44/55 and .44/60 bottleneck and .44/45 straight rimfire cases. The powder charge is marked on top of the barrel." He goes on to say "A number of conversions were made to various Sharps and Hankins long guns. William Read & Sons of Boston purchased part of 4,009 Sharps and Hankins carbines declared surplus in 1870 and had them altered to take the .45 Colt cartridges. Several carbines have shown up bored out to take 20 gauge shotgun shells. Several different methods of conversion appear and it is thought that most of these are individual efforts rather than factory conversions." Also check out the Sharps Collector's Association web site. Maybe they will tell you more.

Good luck,
    Barry S.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

online information

I was having problems posting a reply.

I found this information from two auction site

This is from a RIA auction for a .44RF...

This rifle falls early in the 6000-12000 serial number range known to contain Sharps & Hankins Army carbines/short rifles including the experimental models in non-standard calibers. Frank Sellers in "Sharps Firearms" on page 170 estimated these experimental arms were first delivered on November 11, 1863, (6 carbines) and notes confirmed subsequent shipments on January 2 and 28th of 1865, (17 carbines for experimental work at Springfield and one already finished by Sharps in the second shipment and 11 in .30 and .44 caliber in the final shipment).

And this is a RIA auction for a .44 smooth bore...

Name:  text.bmp
Views: 765
Size:  79.1 KB

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Inspection

So I have the carbine for a little while for inspection. The action is tight and lock up nicely. Overall it is nice condition. The serial numbers match. There is a 44 on the bottom of the barrel. There is also a mark on the top but I cant read it. Maybe in the sunlight tomorrow.

A .45 colt drops in with a little too much room compared to my revolver chambers. A 50-70 case will not fit. To large in diameter. A .45-70 goes about half way binds up on the taper of the brass.

The barrel has good rifling. I slugged is with a flatten soft lead round ball. The round ball stated at .454 but push through no problem and the rifling engraved on the round ball was faint to non-existent to faint. After flattening the round ball and driving the ball through, the ball measured at .465/.463.

I sent another picture to Bruce. I hope Bruce chimes in.

Tomorrow I plan to cast the chamber with cerrosafe.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

update

Bruce got back to me through a private message. He said it was a after market conversion. So that's a bummer, in that regard.

But the carbine in in great condition, bore, surface condition, action for its age. So many, especially the Navy version, have serious rust problems. This one does not.

The price is good, so I will have to see.

Thanks for all who have chimed in.