Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1858 Enfield "Naval" rifle use in North

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

1858 Enfield "Naval" rifle use in North

Was wondering if the Enfield P1858 Naval rifle, with the brass furniture, was ever used much, or at all by the Union military (North)? I know that there were many of the 1860 Army rifles (Enfield) issued and used by the South, but not sure about either the P1858 or P1860 Army being used by U.S. Grant, or others, in the ACW.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I believe US Grant carried a .36 Colt Navy revolver.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    I believe US Grant carried a .36 Colt Navy revolver.
    I don't think Grant carried anything other than a pocket full of cigars. And, unfortunately, that seemed to be plenty!
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dtagoons

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I wasn't so interested in the pistols as the short rifles of 33" , like the P1858 Naval and P1860 Army (all steel fixtures).

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    You may be confusing the P1856 Short "Army" Rifle with 3-groove rifling and normal weight barrel) with the P1860 Short Rifle with the 5-groove heavy "Navy" barrel for which the majority of the latter were subsequently converted to Snyder. The P1860 pattern was only in effect for about 6 months before being replaced by the P1861, both of which had the buttstocks shortened by 1-inch. Only the Liege trade continued producing the long butts on the short rifles, and they were the only ones to produce the P1860 and P1861 in any significant numbers from 1860 to 1863. These rifles were also "non-interchangeable" and so will not interchange with their own much less anything made in Great Britain. Berry Benson's short rifle had been suggested to have been a P1860 short rifle but upon closer examination proved to be a P1856 with 3-groove rifling.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Perhaps I might be wrong, but as I understood it, the P1860 was basically a 33" 5 groove barrel .58 caliber rifled musket with progressive depth rifling like the Naval versions (brass) with some minor changes, such as casehardened steel for the parts that were brass on the Naval and the sling swivel was attached behind the trigger guard frame directly into the stock. The Naval 1858 was just in the front part of the trigger guard like the P1853. The steel versions, I thought, were referred to as the Army Short Rifle. Look again.

I know the South did have some of them, and thought highly of them for long distance sniper shooting. But I was wondering if any of these style of Naval rifles with the brass furniture were ever used by Union troops?

This link has some really nice pictures of a Naval rifle that was repaired during the conflict. http://www.collegehillarsenal.com/sh...4&cat=0&page=1
    Last edited by vljenewein; 08-31-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The Pattern No. 1 or 1856 Short Rifle was the Army rifle with 3-groove, pitch of one turn in 78 inches. It was next succeeded by the Short Rifle, Pattern No. 2 or 1856 "Bar-on-band" adopted in July 1858, and had the same rifling and pitch. That's the rifle that had the snub nose muzzle like the Whitworth. The Pattern No. 3 or 1860 Short Rifle was not adopted until November 1860 and was initially fitted with the same 3-groove barrels as the P1856 Army rifle until about March 1861 when it was decided to adopt the 5-groove barrel like the Navy Rifle. The Pattern No. 4 or P1861 Short Rifle was adopted in August 1861, and differed from the P1860 by having a cast steel barley corn front sight rather than the previous iron rifle sight. Other than the few thousand P1860 and P1861 short rifles made at Enfield 1861-64, like the P1858 Navy Rifles, most were produced by contract, chiefly by the Liege trade producing some 18,000 P/60 and P/61 rifles, and some 30,000 P/58 Navy rifles. The only parts of any of these rifles made of steel was the ramrod and bayonet, and latterly the front sight on the P/61 short rifle. They were made of iron with iron furniture for the Army rifles and brass for the Navy rifles, though among the arms destined for export could be either or mixed, particularly those of the Birmingham trade.
    First Cousin (7 times removed) to Brigadier General Stand Watie (1806-1871), CSA
    1st Cherokee Mounted Rifles | Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation 1862-66

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I had read on other forums how some of the members had converted their Parker-Hale Naval Enfields P1858, 33" 5 groove barrel, brass fixtures by buying the appropriate steel counterparts... butt plate, trigger guard, end cap, and even the barrel bands (to be bright and then case hardened/colored) It takes a small bit of in-letting of the wood to get the steel trigger guard into place, and I believe that the sling swivel is now positioned behind the trigger guard, and attached directly to the stock.

Curious if their use by the Northern Army, either Naval P1858 or Army P1861 did actually happen? Or were they more a South weapon?

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    Reading last night how there was an entire regiment outfitted with the 1858 Navy rifle. Thread was here "with" pictures of one owned by a PA volunteer. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/enf...-rifle.141542/

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    An interesting link and information. I would wonder, since the stamping (and not "engraving") states it was for a "Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer" as per the "PVV" stamping, I would suspect that it is a post-war stamping so that the Veteran could identify his own arm when used in GAR functions. Nowhere in the post does it claim that the 28th PVI was actually issued these very scarce arms.