Thread: what is it

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts

what is it

for give but being a NIMROD with the terms being used what is KIK powder that the guys are talking about? how is it different than GOEX, thanks , toot.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    It's just another brand name. I tried it once and it shot pretty dirty,but others like it.

Name:  kik.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  6.7 KB
    Last edited by Hal; 08-14-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

what is it

Hal, thank you for getting back to me on my question. i live in the NORTH EAST, NEW ENGLAND area, and have never heard of that brand and never seen it and never for sale in the LGS that i frequent. toot.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

K I K powder

by the illustration on the container it is for cowboys who herd horses, LOL!! comes in only one grade-2fg?

Region:
    I think I bought it from these guys.

https://powderinc.com/shop/?product-page=4

I don't remember now what I even shot it in. I just bought one pound of several different brands. That one I remember being dirty. I shoot nothing but Swiss now. I also shoot 1.5F in my musket and carbines. That with lube made of 50/50 beeswax and olive oil cleans up very easily.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

K i k

in your 50/50 bees wax and olive oil lube, is it regular olive oil or EVOO. or doesn't matter?

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    NA
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    EVOO sauteed with onions and unsalted butter over low heat. Use onions to garnish steak, serve with red wine, use remaining pan contents as lube. Works great and taste will remind you of a great meal.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"
    Rudyard Kipling

YadkinValleyRangers@gmail.com
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Region:
    I never paid any attention to whether it was EV or not. Probably not. Whatever was cheapest at the time, if purpose bought. On the other hand, I have just used what was in the pantry, so on those occasions, it probably was.

According to this:

https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index...s-almost-gone/

I'm thinking they may not make it anymore, which may account for the poor selection of grades. I'm pretty sure it was available in multiple grades when I bought mine.

BTW Toot, I cannot find true black powder in ANY local gun store in my area. Bass Pro carries Goex, but I have to go to Savannah (80 miles) to get to a Bass Pro. All other stores that have anything close only carry the substitutes like Pyrodex or Triple 7 or whatever. What's worse is they don't have a clue that Pyrodex is not black powder. You just get the deer in the headlight looks from them when you try to explain. If you have a local gun store that carries real black powder, consider yourself lucky. If they have selection of brands, consider yourself REAL lucky. I order mine and have it shipped to the house. You have to buy a 5 lb minimum and there is a hazmat fee to ship it. If you can get some others together to make a large order, it spreads out that hazmat fee and shipping.
    Last edited by Hal; 08-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

local black powder

my local gun shop caries it. he has -GOEX- SCHUTZEN AND OLD EYLSFORD, I think that is how they spell it. i just got my first can of SCHUTZEN 1 1/2 F grade to try. i am going to try it in my cartridge long guns. and got one pound of GOEX CANNON GRADE. i guess i am blessed i only have to travel 20 minutes to get it. BTW, he charges $25.00 no hazardous fee , he obsorbe's it!!.