Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merrill or Greene carbine owners

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Merrill or Greene carbine owners

I'm down to maybe one new find Merrill carbine a week, and no more Greene carbine finds. That includes queries at UK and other European forums. I'm trying to build an info sharing website dedicated to James H. Merrill, as I was out of work but had the squirreled funds to pick up a reasonable, original Merrill. Recently, I won a mint condition 1856 Green carbine lockplate with the Maynard primer system..

For the Merrill's, I've serial-ID'd over 250 carbines, almost 30 rifles, 37 bayonets ((no matches to the rifles' serials), maybe 40 prototypes and conversions, plus 25 or so unverified carbines/rifles. When that website is up, I'll hopefully have lots of feedback to help serial-ID current unknowns and provide new Merrill photos and histories.

If found photos of maybe 10 Greenes with serials, and over 20 without photos or details identifying serial numbers.

Anyone here own one of these old, rare beauties, and willing to share your photos - esp. of the serials? With the pics for those 10 Greenes, I confirmed four serial locations - most cool indeed. Please send pics and any histories to ewmail15@gmail.com.

I posted a similar and much shorter thread on civilwartalk, as that's my primary site for learning and sharing knowledge.

Thanks, Eric.
    Last edited by ewmail15; 08-03-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Team:
    29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
    Region:

merrill

I have an officers model glad to share serial # and send photo . Have problem sending to this sight . Can send easily to your cell phone. bob

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Send pics to ewmail15@gmail.com

Bob, please send me any and all pics max sized/resolution to ewmail15@gmail.com. You should be able to send to my email address via IM from your cell phone. I've done that lots of times. There should be an option on this forum to resize automatically to conform to limits, but guess that's not available. I'll take care of resizing and uploading here. Please too take pics of any assembly numbers you find. Places to check are: buttplate top end (later models), trigger plate, trigger guard (outside/near plate nbr, or inside area), saddle bar on carbine, on rear sight where screwed into barrel, on underside of lever (on knurled/butterfly pieces on 1st model), underside of plunger arm, backside of lockplate and hammer and on sear and bridle (if you can disassemble as I was fortunate to do with ease - mine had been well cared for, other than poor storage - maybe in a case that trapped moisture), and maybe on the barrels and nosecap (for rifles).

A few months ago, I blasted out emails to CW museums from just about every state, asking if they had any Merrills and willing to share for my website. Responses were few, and most that did reply said they had none. I received an email yesterday from a woman at the NRA Museum with good news that she had a rifle new to me. Said please send all she had, and pics were great and hi-res. There are more arms in storage but were never photographed. She stated I should check back with her in a few months. The NRA Museum search returned no results for "Merrill".

On a side note, the ACWM website has lots and lots of rare CW era rifles and carbines. I used the arms I found in this search results to ask the NRA Museum contact if she had any of those as well on display or in storage.

http://moconfederacy.pastperfectonli...utf8=%E2%9C%93
    Last edited by ewmail15; 08-04-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Serial and pics

Bob, I'm a fellow Wisconsinite. Please send serial and pics this week if you can. I've received consent to view, handle and photograph two stored Merrill's at the Wisconsin Veterans Museum November likely, after they relocate their collection to a better, climate controlled building. Collecting admin stated I could bring along some fellow Merrill lovers.
    Last edited by ewmail15; 08-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Well I'm sure many forum users would like to see it. The key is crop your photo until it gets under the pixie limit - then system will accept it.
    Cropping could remove something you want included.

I open the JPEG in Microsoft Paint, then resize it until it is under the space limit. Not sure exactly what number that is, so I just keep resizing until it will load. Under 900 kb?
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    NA
    Region:

pics

Bob in WI, please send all your pics to my email above. Please also take pics of the serial(s) and part assembly numbers. Is it a rifle or carbine?

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Bob, please post tonight those pics and the serial and any history. Thanks.

Team:
    149th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Greene

I thought your post was looking for Greene carbines but noticed lastest post mentioning rifle. I have a Durrell Greene bolt action rifle. Do you have interest in it?
    When in doubt, mumble, when in trouble, delegate.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

1856 carbine

I'm looking for the pre-Civil War 1856 model Greene carbine.

Team:
    NA
    Region:

Bob from the 29th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Bob, I'm in need of a new Merrill find. Week was a total bust on finding any new serials. Please send the serial and as many pics as you can to (262) 229-5819. Same goes for anyone else who has an original Merrill, a Merrill conversion or prototype, accessories (bayonets, bags, cartridge boxes), or 1856 Greene carbine pics with serials. Eric