Thread: Adams Revolver

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Adams Revolver

I have an Adams revolver that the hammer will not pull back or the cylinder will not turn, any suggestions?

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    8231V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Guessing it's like a colt & a piece of cap is stuck between the front of the hammer & back of the frame. I tap my hammer against some wood to flatten the debris enough that the revolver will cycle again. That's why I shoot a Remington in competition. Also why old style photos show cavalry cocking the guns over their shoulder - drops the cap & debris away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Hallo!

Hard to diagnose blind, but...

But if not a cap jam... I would first suspect a broken trigger/bolt spring.

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    Formerly 17 years a Sherman's Bodyguard
    Married to a descendant of Senator John Sherman's wife

Team:
    Palmetto Sharpshooters
    5795V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    May be. Another possibility, if the gun was used in the Sepoy Rebillion there might be some keema aloo stuck in there.

Sir Eggs.....have you attempted a lube recipe with the runoff from yer keema aloo as of yet??
    Never squat with yer spurs on!!!

Pat "PJ" Kelly #5795V
    Virginny & Texas
    540-878-8024

MAYNARDS RULE!! & starr's DROOL!
    Hence the rust. MAYNARDAE LAUS DEO!

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hindus eat pork, but not beef. Muslims eat beef, but not pork. The .577 rounds were rumored to use both tallow (beef) and pork grease, thus insulting both religions.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Visitor
    I've received a couple of communications doubting the veracity of my last post. Well it may be that while what I said may not be 100% accurate, the history books will back me on the pork fat contention. What is the "port fat contention?" you ask. Well if you think back to high school, we all took "World History."
    The Sepoy rebellion was covered in Chapter 37. Think back to World History Class -- it was here that the World History teacher, also the head basketball coach, sat at his desk in the front of the classroom drawing up basketball plays. Meanwhile, on the blackboard twas written, "Read Chapter 37; Answer the questions on page 156." So after you copied Mary Ann's answers to the questions on page 156, you proceeded to draw pictures of Thunderbolts and Messerschmidt 109s the rest of the class period. To this day you have no recollection of the pork fat covered in Chapter 37.
    The Brits coated their bullets with pork fat to insult their Hindu opponents.

​I fell asleep in class that day and my life has been all screwed up ever since.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I remember you Gil.You were the guy in the back over to the right actually looking up the answers to the questions.
    Well, yeah.

When I was an international cop in Kosovo, there a couple of Indian police officers out on patrol and they saw a Kosovar out in a field, beat a cow. That's a big no-no in their country, as cows are considered sacred animals. They brought the farmer to jail, but had to turn him loose, once it was explained to them that they were NOT in India and that cow beating was not a crime in Kosovo.

After being in Kosovo, I became a police advisor in Afghanistan. There, I overheard a conversation between a fellow advisor and one of our security people, who was from Nepal. The advisor was telling Chhabi that if he ever came to America to come visit him in Alabama and he would cook him a nice big steak. Chhabi, a Hindi, was very uncomfortable, but trying to be polite. I took the Bama native aside and told him that offering Chhabi a steak was like trying to feed a Muslim a pork chop.

You have to know the culture when you go overseas.
    Last edited by Muley Gil; 07-17-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    In fact, British Enfield cartridges were lubricated with a mixture of mutton (sheep) tallow and beeswax, and thus contained neither beef nor pork!

Even further, prior to the rebellion it was ordered that cartridges issued to Sepoy troops be unlubricated, so that they could lubricate them themselves with whatever they saw fit. Additionally, loading orders were changed so that instead of biting the cartridge, one was to use one's fingers to open it. This, ironically, simply convinced the doubters that the lubricant was actually beef or pork!

Ultimately, in 1859 the British settled on 100% pure beeswax as the best lubricant for their paper-patched bullets.

Steve