Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about skirmish schedules---

Team:
    1st Maine Heavy Artillery
    2558V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio

Question about skirmish schedules---

Am I right that where a skirmish is said to be taking place in "Lancaster" that means Charlie Smithgall's range at Fort Ross??

Bill Shuey
    whshuey@verizon.net

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Hi Bill, Yes that is Fort Ross...
    Francis J. Miller Jr. (Herb)
    Lancaster Fencibles/79th PVI
    Middle Atlantic Region
    153-MA - 02601V
    Middle Atlantic Region Deputy Provost Marshal
    N-SSA National Provost Guard

Team:
    Company C, 2nd United States Sharpshooters
    Region:

Fort ross skirmish

Anybody see the invitation and/or agenda for the skirmish at Ft Ross in two weeks? Very frustrating looking for the invitations and agendas for our skirmishes. You'd think they'd be on the calendar or the Upcoming Skirmishes folder.

Thanks -
    Last edited by rgsheppard; 07-09-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    R. GARY SHEPPARD
    Adjutant

Co C, 2nd US Sharpshooters

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsheppard View Post
    Anybody see the invitation and/or agenda for the skirmish at Ft Ross in two weeks? Very frustrating looking for the invitations and agendas for our skirmishes. You'd think they'd be on the calendar or the Upcoming Skirmishes folder.

Thanks -
    If the Host Team doesn’t submit the invite how do you suppose it’s going to get on the calendar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    I just checked the invite for the end of July skirmish at Ft Ross from the "Sorted by Location" feature and it's from 2017.

Team:
    Company C, 2nd United States Sharpshooters
    Region:

Fort ross skirmish

I get it that it takes times putting an Invitation/Agenda together, getting it posted, and putting on the skirmish, especially all through volunteer work. The efforts are appreciated.

One of the ongoing concerns is the drop in membership and participation at skirmishes. I'm retired so guys like me have very flexible schedules. But, younger members work and, unless self-employed, have to put in for leave, usually two weeks ahead of time, to get off. It is hard to get responses from such company members without knowledge of the skirmish and the logistics involved.

You'd think Skirmish Hosts would want to advertise their skirmish and give ample time for responses to maximize participation. Keep doing this in a loosey-goosey manner and fewer people will participate.
    Last edited by rgsheppard; 07-09-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    R. GARY SHEPPARD
    Adjutant

Co C, 2nd US Sharpshooters

lmcmahon, 00480V is offline Administrator
    Team:
    Nansemond Guards
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    If the Host Team doesn’t submit the invite how do you suppose it’s going to get on the calendar?

Paul is right, I can not post something that I do not have. It’s up to the host team to submit this information.
    lf you read the top of page highlighted in yellow.

1. Please send all skirmish invites and programs for the main website, and all website updates to calendar@n-ssa.net. These will go to Admin to post on the site calendar. NOTE: Please send in PDF format, not everyone has Microsoft Word.
    Linwood McMahon
    Nansemond Guards

Webmaster & Forum Admin Manager

Team:
    12085V
    Region:

Question about skirmish schedules---

Quote Originally Posted by rgsheppard View Post
    I get it that it takes times putting an Invitation/Agenda together, getting it posted, and putting on the skirmish, especially all through volunteer work. The efforts are appreciated.

One of the ongoing concerns is the drop in membership and participation at skirmishes. I'm retired so guys like me have very flexible schedules. But, younger members work and, unless self-employed, have to put in for leave, usually two weeks ahead of time, to get off. It is hard to get responses from such company members without knowledge of the skirmish and the logistics involved.

You'd think Skirmish Hosts would want to advertise their skirmish and give ample time for responses to maximize participation. Keep doing this in a loosey-goosey manner and fewer people will participate.
    Why do “Young Skirmishers” need the invite? The Skirmish schedule for calendar year 2018 has been posted since the Board adopted it. The only person that needs the invite is your Team Adjutant to register with.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...mish_Dates.pdf

Last edited by P.Altland; 07-09-2018 at 07:09 PM.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    The general calendar is just a basic reference. It is useful only in the most generic of ways to know, for example, that there is going to be an event in Saratoga, NY on June 16-18. If you actually want to attend one of the events listed there, especially if you've never been to it before, you are going to need more comprehensive information such as provided on the invitation.

My free time of late is dwindling and I have not been able to even address the update of the map of shooting locations. Maintaining the web site and the calendar is a huge task run by volunteers and they do a great job. I suspect most of the calendar issues are probably just miscommunication issues.

Some time ago I dabbled with the Google Calendar solution and it mostly did what I would expect a calendar solution to do, and importantly, it provides a self-service calendar solution. This way any approved person (Team Commander, Deputy Commander, Adjutant, whoever) could post their own events to it:

https://calendar.google.com/calendar...Z29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

I'd like someone (other than Linwood, who is already, I think, an admin for it) to try to go to the above link and add a fake event. You should not be able to, even though it is a public calendar. Then, I will add you with edit abilities (I think), and you should be able to add and edit events on the calendar. Unfortunately, you have to have a Google account to access Google Calendar.

PM me if you want to try it out.

I'm not necessarily advocating the Google solution. It has drawbacks, like needing a Google account to use it, and Google being an anti-gun company. It's just a concept. There are probably other solutions for online calendars with multiple content adders. Maybe even the current calendar solution allows it?

Steve

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    The problem isn’t the technology that we currently have. It’s the memberships inability to use it. There was just a member on the Facebook page asking for the Vet Invite that was literally 4 posts down. You just can’t fix that.

Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B