Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost caught a cookoff on video

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Almost caught a cookoff on video

This is footage from the Deep South Region July Fun Shoot last weekend.

I had just panned the camera away from the line, when the last shooter at the end of the line had a cookoff. He was loading for his second shot. He was fine. Might have a BP tattoo for a while.

I also had a cookoff this weekend, also in the musket match. It was also my second shot. I was also fine, as my charge did not go off until I was dropping my cartridge tube into my tin cup on my belt.

One thing I noticed is that my nipple was wet from my "possum piss" (1/3 isopropyl alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap) - I had saturated the cleaning patch and some had leaked out the fire channel. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

It was also quite hot this weekend. Barrels easily got too hot to touch during matches, but I would not expect them to be very hot after one shot.

I have had 4 cookoffs now in 7 years of shooting. I am about skeptical of the cotton medical gauze I have been using for cheap cleaning patches. They pull "fuzz" very easily. I am seriously considering not doing any patch wiping during matches and using a brass bristle brush only.

Steve

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I've been shooting black powder since 1969 and have never had a cook off. I use a dry brass bristle brush between relays. I invert the musket when I remove the rod and brush, letting the fouling drop to the ground.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I've been shooting black powder since 1969 and have never had a cook off. I use a dry brass bristle brush between relays. I invert the musket when I remove the rod and brush, letting the fouling drop to the ground.
    Hey Gil,

This is the route I am seriously considering going.

I'm pretty sure this will be good enough for rifled guns. Not sure if I can get my smoothbore clean enough for easy loading with a brush. What do you think?

Steve

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    My dad has always warned me to be *especially* careful of the 2nd shot-- says it seems to be very common timing for a cookoff. Too bad no one keeps stats on that kind of anecdotal stuff.
    I haven't had one... yet. Knock on wood.

Jim B.

Grove City, OH

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
    I have always done this (just always made sense to get it out of the barrel) and in 20 years of skirmishing never had a cookoff *knocking on wood*

Team:
    111th Ohio Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    I just missed having one I think. I had shot and was in the process of beginning to place the cap plug with the powder charge at the muzzle. I saw a little red bump near the muzzle burst into the neatest little flame. It was very cool to see and have never seen another. What material was the little red bump consisting of? As I recall it was a hot and humid August shoot at Pleasant Hill in the midwest region.
    Pvt. Marty Richards
    111th OVI

A distant relative of Genl. Stonewall Jackson but a Strong Union Man!

Team:
    Chiswell's Exiles, Co. B 35th Battalion Va. Cavalry
    0556V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Hey Gil,

This is the route I am seriously considering going.

I'm pretty sure this will be good enough for rifled guns. Not sure if I can get my smoothbore clean enough for easy loading with a brush. What do you think?

Steve
    Use a stainless steel "Tornado" brush - 12 gauge do not twist it or it will break off. But a short piece of 5/8" copper tubing (sharpen the inside diameter) makes for easy removal if one does break off in your smoothie. I learned that from Mike Rouch of the 110 OVI
    Chuck Fugate

Team:
    Old Dominion Dragoons
    Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmeu View Post
    What material was the little red bump consisting of? As I recall it was a hot and humid August shoot at Pleasant Hill in the midwest region.
    That little red bump is called Keema Aloo. Ask the Egg Man.

Respectfully,
    Charlie Gerringer
    Old Dominion Dragoons

Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    You can forgo the need for patching and or brushing out your muzzle loaders bore after events via properly sized rounds with FRESH lube.

I can shoot my beloved Fayetteville all day long with out swabbing.

As for the dental gauze patches, I prefer them over the GI patches sold by Suttler. Never had to worry about the countless fraying threads, commonly found with the GIs. The dentals are MUCH cheaper, do just as good, don’t fray (at least in any of my pieces) and can be easily opened/folded/pleated to serve the needs of the respective barrel.

My two cents, results may vary...
    Semper Fi,
    Rob Freeman
    Col, USMC (Ret.)
    1987-2019

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. - Vince Lombardi

Region:
    Tidewater - Virginia and North Carolina
    Anyone just use a well rung wet patch between EVENTS? and I mean just water on the patch as it neutralizes any material left toward the breech plug. And then when you snap caps it dries any moisture away.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk