Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help ID this weapon

Region:
    Visitor
    So, if all 6 go at once, what happens with the bottom one? Doesn't sound like anything a revolver would survive.
    ​Thank God the balls were pure lead. The bottom ball slammed into the frame and loading leaver and warped around the frame like a piece of chewing gum. What was amazing was it never hurt the gun I shot it for many years without any problems. Had it been an original and not a re-pro I probably would only had the grips left minus a few fingers or hand. This is what happens when you don't know what the hell your doing. They say experience is the best teacher. I learnt fast that day.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

PapaRob is offline Banned
    Team:
    48th Virginia Infantry
    10407V
    Region:
    Central Virginia - Virginia and North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Old Reb View Post
    So, if all 6 go at once, what happens with the bottom one? Doesn't sound like anything a revolver would survive.
    ​Thank God the balls were pure lead. The bottom ball slammed into the frame and loading leaver and warped around the frame like a piece of chewing gum. What was amazing was it never hurt the gun I shot it for many years without any problems. Had it been an original and not a re-pro I probably would only had the grips left minus a few fingers or hand. This is what happens when you don't know what the hell your doing. They say experience is the best teacher. I learnt fast that day.
    Wisdom is what ya get 5 minutes after you needed it.

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    My first black powder revolver was a Navy Arms Model 60, a brass frame .44 with a round barrel. A buddy and I were sitting on a pond bank, shooting towards the water. I squeezed off a round and buddy shouted, "OW!!!" I had a chain fire and the ball hit the frame and then hit him on the leg. No bleeding, just a bruise.

He got me back a few years later. We were working on another friend's 1954 Plymouth. These had a tapered fit on the brake drums that required a puller to remove the drum. I was tightening the wrench and he was swinging the hammer. A piece of steel sheared off and buried itself into my thigh. A couple of inches to one side and I wouldn't have had to pay all that child support in years to come.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Sounds scary. I am really surprised it didn't cause more damage. I suppose the ball was moving relatively slowly, as it had only started moving and didn't have time to accelerate before all the pressure relieved when it exited the cylinder.