10365V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    http://www.civilwarguns.com/9607.html

Lots of good information here!

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    @edrutecki

Thanks for posting the photos of the 2 different cases.
    The one on the left looks to be as close as you can get to an original.
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Team:
    6th Pennsylvania Cavalry
    10365V
    Region:
    Middle Atlantic - New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    @edrutecki

Thanks for posting the photos of the 2 different cases.
    The one on the left looks to be as close as you can get to an original.

It looks like Lodgewood is still selling those cases. They bought out the Gator Den stock when Nick decided to retire.

There is a guy on Gunbroker selling Burnside bullets with a dished base that sure look like they came from an original mold.

Those two items would probably give you a fairly decent period "kind of correct" cartridge without spending a super ton of money.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor
    I purchased both the flat and dished base Burnside bullets from the guy on Gunbrokers. Neither one would fit in an original Burnside. They are to long.

Team:
    2nd South Carolina, Co I, Palmetto Guard
    5794V
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    I haven't seen the length problem, but had trouble with the first batch of the new cases sticking in the clamber due to the bases being slightly oversize. This happened with a 4th model, without the guide screw. I reworked them and gave one back to Lodgewood. The second run fit fine. I've got a pile of the old flat base cases that date from the early 1980s. They work OK as is, and work better if you reshape the flat base to be more like an original. They will mess up the platinum flash channel liner if you don't fix the bases. The major problem with them is that the sealing ring is in the wrong place. With light loads they work, but anything over about 30 grains blows out the case mouth.

Team:
    NA
    Region:
    Western - Illinois and Wisconsin

Great carbine info finds

Orin, I stumbled upon an int'l website this past week while searching for all things Merrill (I'm an 1863 carbine owner). Didn't have my Merrill info, but I was able to download seven or eight zip files with loads of images and links and referential/patent-related materials. If interested, message me with your email and I'll send it your way. Hope it can help. I also have individual zips of Ballard, Gallager (sp?), Joslyn, Maynard, Starr and Warner, with a carbines combined zip for Ball, Palmer, Sharps & Hankin, Triplett, Wesson. The French website is tircollection.com. Carbine is translated to carabine, and rifle to fusil, if you want to narrow the search.

Team:
    n/a
    Region:
    Visitor

Burnside cases

The flat bottom Burnside case was made by Bill Norse. Bill from the early 80 to the late 90's was the only person making them. All the maynard, smith, gallanger and Burnside where made on a screw machine in Grand Rapids. So How do I know, because use to haul the brass in the national in my van. Glad I wasn't stopped my the weight masters. Bill moved to Florida and I lost touch with him. It had gotten to the point the cases couldn't be made a reasonable as brass became to expensive and he called it quits. Also back in the 80 someone was making aluminum ones formed the same way as the originals. I have one some where in my reload box.
    Gerhardt Vikar Sr.
    Richmond Purcell's Battery
    NWT198

Former National IG
    Former NWT Regional Commander.