Thread: Sharps Rifle - Charle Hahn Tubes - Advice etc.

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    NA
    Region:
    Visitor

Sharps Rifle - Charle Hahn Tubes - Advice etc.

Recently purchased a Perdosoli 1859 Sharps Carbine. Has had Charlie Hahn Breech Job done. I just want to purchase some of Charlie's tubes + get 1-2 items of advice. Seems he is the expert. I have tried his phone number, but no luck. I do not have his direct e-mail address. Have sent him a message via his web site (no response yet). If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, I'd appreciate it. I also need advice re: the best bullet to use with this gun. I am in the market for a correct bullet mold (Lyman preferable). I have the handles. Alternatively: I'd pay for correct bullets if anyone casts them (reasonable). I no longer do competitive N-SSA stuff (too old). All I want to do is shoot my Sharps at 25-50 yard targets (local gun range in Wilmington, NC). Anyone who can help is welcome to e-mail me at: wbailey163@outlook.com Thanks !! Bill Bailey PS: I was a long time member of N-SSA but just to old now so signed in as a guest.

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Here are some email addresses for you to save.

Larry Flees - ljflees@hotmail.com

Charlie Hahn - etb9601@gmail.com

Moose Moulds - amoose@moosemoulds.com

Bill,
    First, the two are guys well known in the N-SSA for expert Sharps repair and modifications. As you can guess, Charlie is THE GUY for paper tubes to allow you to make preloaded cartridges. Larry and Charlie offer similar but slightly different approaches to modifying the Sharps chamber to prevent gas leaks. Larry is also very good at maintaining all parts of the fire channel, including custom cleanout screws and nipple recesses to improve the path of the flash to the powder charge.

Also in the cc list is the email address for Moose Moulds, who have a pretty complete catalog of high quality bullet moulds for the Sharps. I could happily recommend the 544-480, which is what I use, along with Charlie's 1.3" tubes and around 40 grains of Goex 3fg powder.

I'd suggest you try shooting various bullets first with loose powder, and then once you are happy with the bullet, measure your chamber from the base of the bullet to the face of the breech block and order your tubes. Charlie recently advised me that the overall length of the loaded paper tube can be as much as 1/4" short of the breech block and still achieve reliable ignition, so keep that in mind.

Old is a state of mind. If you're doing what makes you happy, the years don't count quite as much. I'm sure any team would welcome you back in whatever capacity you can handle. If the eyes don't quite make the grade anymore, I'd suggest smoothbore. With big targets and shorter ranges, it's almost too easy.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry
    5109V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog Hill 63 View Post
    Recently purchased a Perdosoli 1859 Sharps Carbine. Has had Charlie Hahn Breech Job done. I just want to purchase some of Charlie's tubes + get 1-2 items of advice. Seems he is the expert. I have tried his phone number, but no luck. I do not have his direct e-mail address. Have sent him a message via his web site (no response yet). If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, I'd appreciate it. I also need advice re: the best bullet to use with this gun. I am in the market for a correct bullet mold (Lyman preferable). I have the handles. Alternatively: I'd pay for correct bullets if anyone casts them (reasonable). I no longer do competitive N-SSA stuff (too old). All I want to do is shoot my Sharps at 25-50 yard targets (local gun range in Wilmington, NC). Anyone who can help is welcome to e-mail me at: wbailey163@outlook.com Thanks !! Bill Bailey PS: I was a long time member of N-SSA but just to old now so signed in as a guest.
    Charlie posted 5 days ago that he has moved his shop and that his cell phone is the best way to contact him right now. The number is 410-627-4726

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Hi Bill,

I have called and sent an email today morning

Regards

charlie

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I shoot a Pedersoli 1859 with the Pedersoli ringtail bullet. I use a 1:20 tin:lead alloy. Results are acceptable, but not fantastic. I roll my own tubes. I use 40 grains 3F Goex.

I have recently bought a custom LEE ringtail mold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/54-Caliber-...IAAOSwr~lYnKfK

This is a copy of the old Rapine mold. It is lighter than the Pedersoli mold. I have yet to try it. Nice thing is it is double-cavity as opposed to the Pedersoli single-cavity.

Steve

Standing on the ROCK sheilded by the LIGHT
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Mould wise I have 2 that my shiloh likes. Best is the moose bagden mould a sum wadcutrer. Nice clean holes
    . Next a brooks mould. I beleive moose is now making a c
    opy of the brooks mould. e
    14th VA Cav.
    " No man has ever been shot in the back doing dishes"

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    I shoot a Pedersoli 1859 with the Pedersoli ringtail bullet. I use a 1:20 tin:lead alloy. Results are acceptable, but not fantastic. I roll my own tubes. I use 40 grains 3F Goex.

I have recently bought a custom LEE ringtail mold:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/54-Caliber-...IAAOSwr~lYnKfK

This is a copy of the old Rapine mold. It is lighter than the Pedersoli mold. I have yet to try it. Nice thing is it is double-cavity as opposed to the Pedersoli single-cavity.

Steve
    I started with the Pedersoli ringtail and paper cartridges in my Pedersoli sporter but found them rather heavy. Then I went to a Moose flat base. By then I'd discovered Charlie's tubes. Glueing them to the bullet base didn't work well and I went to the Lee ringtail. It's outstanding cast in 30/1.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    Glueing them to the bullet base didn't work well and I went to the Lee ringtail. It's outstanding cast in 30/1.
    Good to know. I'll try to cast some up soon. I also am looking forward to a lighter bullet.

Steve