Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schuetzen Powder Problems at the Spring Nationals

Team:
    First Rockbridge Artillery
    08000V
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Schuetzen Powder Problems at the Spring Nationals

I have been shooting with the N-SSA for 26 years and have been shooting black powder for longer than that. I have mostly used Goex but also used a lot of Elephant in the past.

I have been reading good things about Schuetzen and after trying it out in both my Henry and 2 band Enfield, I came to the conclusion that it was slightly more accurate and is certainly cheaper. So, I decided to start using it this year. No problems we're noted during my tests.

During the Spring Nationals, my gun fouled out 3 times. I made sure it was clean in between, dryed it out good, snapped lots of caps, tried 3 different types of caps, and switched cones. Even trickeling powder down the cone wouldn't touch it off. I have never had this problem in all my years of shooting with the organization and the only thing I'm doing different is switching the powder manufacturer. I'm using the same rifle I've used for years. One other guy on our team also fouled out during a round and after talking to him, he also just switched to Schuetzen Powder. I'm using FFF just like I always have.

I took note of the large number of fouled muskets in general this year. Obviously, weather conditions weren't great but I've also shot in driving rainstorms without these issues. Has anyone else had problems and determined if they were related to damp conditions and Schuetzen Powder. If so, maybe I need to carry Goex for those not so ideal conditions? Wondered if I was the only one noticing a possible trend.

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I used a batch of Schuetzen powder once. I had called up Back Creek (I think) and they were out of Goex so I took Schuetzen. I find it to be a very dirty powder and I will never buy it again. At the time, I was experimenting with the Moose Wilkinson, which has a very tiny lube groove.

With Schuetzen, I could only get off about 3 shots before the barrel started getting crunchy on loading. With Goex, I can shoot them pretty much indefinitely. I even tried the vaunted "SPG" lube that folks suggested - no difference. It was the powder.

Now the new Schuetzen caps are awesome. Way hotter than the Dynamite Nobel caps.

Steve

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    Just as a clarification for our newer shooters, the groove/grooves of the Austrian/Wilkinson bullet are not for lube. The bullet is a compression bullet with the grooves intended to provide the space for the base to compress and obturate into the rifling. If the grooves have anything more than a very thin coating of lube, as applied via Eddy Schneeman's method, the bullet will not obturate properly causing a loss of accuracy. The original design of this projectile called for it to be paper patched with the paper carrying the lubrication.

To address the OP, I also witnessed an overwhelming percentage of fouled muskets as compared to the reduced number of shooters on the line during 1st Phase Musket at the past National. The quality of the powder used may very well be a factor if those individuals were also using Scheutzen powder. Perhaps some of those individuals will add their experiences to this topic.
    Last edited by John Holland; 05-27-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    Other than Goex and Swiss the only other powder I have ever shot was the old Elephant. I shot both 2f and 3f with Elephant. Although I had to use 3 grains more compared to Goex with my musket, other than being dirtier, it performed OK. How does the Schuetzen compare to the old Elephant? Do you have to use more of it to get the performance as Goex?
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I started shooting black powder back in 1969. I have always shot DuPont (now Goex), most of it being FFFg, with a little bit of FFg here and there. I have never had a cook off (knock on wood) and have shot in the hot sunshine, the damp, rainy Fort Shenandoah weather, pretty spring time temps and in the snow.

Maybe I have just been lucky.
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    120th New York Volunteer Infantry
    1761V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    I've been shooting NSSA matches since the spring nationals in 1970 and outside the NSSA for several years prior to that. Always shot DuPont/GOEX. Started with 2F and then after shooting carbine with 3F I switched to 3F for everything, just to keep it simple. I shoot mostly original musket or some with Bill Large barrels, original with the breech loaders. I usually shoot a whole team match without wiping between relays, occasionally I do. I mostly use Lens lube, occasionally I'll try others. Like Gil, I've shot in all kinds of weather and have never had cook off. I only remember once having fouled on the line. Like Gil, maybe I'm lucky. I have no secret other than I am fanatical about cleaning firearms after I get home from a match. I use the hot soapy water pumping method, pull the nipples, blow out all vent pass ways, dry and lube everything well. I usually use WD 40, sometimes Ballistol. It doesn't take that long. I've purchased firearms from people who have supposedly cleaned them and it's amazing how much crap comes out. I'd start by reviewing your cleaning procedures.

Region:
    Just as a clarification for our newer shooters, the groove/grooves of the Austrian/Wilkinson bullet are not for lube.
    The Moose Wilkinson has a small lube groove. But you are correct, the giant groove is not for lube.

Steve

Team:
    1st Michigan Infantry
    Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Now the new Schuetzen caps are awesome. Way hotter than the Dynamite Nobel caps.
    Steve
    I also heard the new caps were "hotter" so I decided to do some testing. Using my Maynard, I inserted pieces of target paper and then 100% cotton cleaning patches between the breach and the receiver and snapped both types of caps to see the damage.

For both types of materials, there was much more noticeable damage done by the RWS caps. Interestingly, the Schuetzen caps were louder going off, which might explain why people think they are hotter.

This is just what I found with my limited testing, but I figure I spend way too much time casting, loading and practicing to potentially blow a shot because I wanted to save $3 a thousand on caps.

It is still possible the new caps will work better in your gun, and if they don't you can use them for snapping caps before and after the event.
    Bob Anderson
    Ordnance Sergeant
    Company C, 1st Michigan Volunteer Infantry
    Small Arms Committee

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
    - John Wayne in "The Shootist", 1976

Team:
    8th Regiment Virginia Volunteers
    10395V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    The Wilkinson bullet shown is an old design from Greg Edington. Greg told me many years ago that the small groove on the bullet is a fletching groove. It had nothing to do with lubrication. Of course, skirmishers put lube anywhere possible on a bullet.
    Jim Wimbish

Member of NSSA since 2000

Region:
    All I know is the Scheutzen sound louder and they burn my fingers when holding the arm. The guy at Back Creek also said they were hotter than Dynamite Nobel. But, he's selling them, so who knows.

Greg told me many years ago that the small groove on the bullet is a fletching groove. It had nothing to do with lubrication.
    Whatever you want to call them, it's the only groove on the bullet that can hold any lube. I dip-lube mine after pre-heating the bullets, so some lube does run up into the compression groove, but it mostly runs out. I suppose whatever was left could get slung out on firing maybe.

Steve