Thread: Madison, GA 1863

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Madison, GA 1863

A few years ago, I had a job that would allow me to go by the Georgia State Archives a few days a week.

The collection at the archives went back to the 1700's.

Unfortunately, the state has not always "treasured" their old written records in the past. There are stories that in the 1880's, when the archives were located in the basement of the new state capitol building, that one of the janitors who was in charge of starting the coal fired furnace in the basement would grab a handful of old papers from the archives and use a few pages as kindling to start the fire in the furnace.

One thing I did run across was the records of the Georgia QM office, specifically the payments given to ladies in and around Madison for "sewing up" uniforms. Basically, a woman would show up at the QM office in Madison and be issued what I called a "uniform" kit.

This was all the parts of a jacket, shirt or trousers cut out of fabric. The lady would be also issued thread. She would carry the kit or kits home, sew them up into a complete garment.

She would then return the garmet or garments to the QM office and be paid at a certain rate for her work in sewing the garment(s) up.

Obviously, women that owned a sewing machine were more productive and could sew up more garments.

Anyway, it was fascinating going thru those old records.

Region:
    Northwest Territory - Michigan, Ohio and Indiana

Thanks

Thanks for the interesting information.
    N-SSA Member since 1974