Thread: Rogers and Spencer trouble

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana

Rogers and Spencer trouble

If you feel like you're having an N-SSA Forum Flashback, don't panic. A few years ago, I had trouble with a super-light trigger on my R&S and appealed for help here on the forum. H.P Gregory gave me some excellent advice-- essentially to clean the internals very thoroughly-- and I got it straightened out-- thanks, Mr. Gregory!

Well, I'm back. Went to the range today, started snapping caps, got to #3 and the cylinder froze. What the #$@??? I fiddled with it and the cylinder started moving freely again. But it wouldn't stay on full cock, it would drop to half. Went home and took it apart-- quick tip (from Mr. Gregory) before you disassemble a R&S, remove frame screw behind hammer, remove the grips, set it to full cock (or pull it back and hold it there like I had to) and put a dowel/fat Sharpie/wedge between the tensioned main spring and the frame. It's otherwise very difficult to put it back together, or to safely compress the mainspring for reassembly.

Anyway, disassembling and obsessive cleaning didn't completely fix it. It will stay on full cock now, but has a crazy light trigger. Ounces. The business end (top, internal) of the trigger is practically knife-sharp, but feels like it's curled over a bit toward the rear, I can just feel it with a thumbnail. Maybe that's the issue? This seems like a different problem than last time.

Anyone have advice on what I should do or check out next? FWIW, I reassembled it dry the first time, then put a dab of moly grease on the hammer to see if that would improve things (it didn't). I love shooting this gun, but it sure is finicky!

Cheers
    Jim B.
    Grove City, OH

Team:
    24th Georgia Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina
    Generally, when your trigger pull weight starts to "yo-yo" (get heavier and/or lighter i.e., changes often) then that means you have either a soft trigger (where it contacts the hammer notch) and/or a soft sear notch.

What you need is a good gunsmith that can hone the notch in the hammer and the top of your trigger to get you a safe and legal trigger pull and then caseharden both parts. That way, your trigger pull weight will stay the same over the years.

Euroarms Rogers & Spencer parts parts are getting hard to find, otherwise I would recommend that you simply replace the hammer and trigger. A good gunsmith can solve your problem with your R & S.

Team:
    110th Ohio Voluneer Infantry
    Region:
    Midwest - Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
    Southron,

How right you are-- I've searched til the cows come home, and it would appear there aren't any Euroarms R&S triggers left on the internet. Note: there is a brand new Euroarms R&S for sale on a British gun store's site. I'll start practicing with my .36 Navy til the R&S is sorted out, seeking professional help!

Cheers
    Jim B.
    Grove City, OH