Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max pounds force of revolver cylinder against frame?

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas

Max pounds force of revolver cylinder against frame?

Hi all,

With a 140 grain bullet, a 30 grain charge, and a muzzle velocity of 900 fps, a 2.8 pound revolver has a free recoil of about 8.6 ft*lb of energy.

I would like to figure out how this translates into a force pushing against a circle .44 inches in diameter (the back of the chamber).

Can anyone help out with this bit of engineering magic?

Steve

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I am making aa bunch of assumptions.

The recoil force/rate is about 17.9 lbs per second. Assuming just the cylinder loaded at about 8 oz's, that would be about 143.2 pounds of force on the frame. Now there are a bunch of other factors all but impossible to quantify with out a very expensive test but that is my thumb nail guesstimate

Region:
    I worked it another way. I figured an internal max pressure of 20,000 PSI, and applied that to the area of a .44" diameter circle to get pounds of force at the back of the chamber wall. It was around 3,000 pounds as I recall.

Steve

Team:
    13th Confederate Infantry
    0829V
    Region:
    Potomac - Virginia, Maryland and Delaware
    I do not think internal pressure and recoil force can be factored this way. I would think if we had that amount of force we might have broken bones to show for it.

Region:
    Yeah I guess my answer is not logical.

If there is an internal pressure of 20,000 PSI in the chamber, and the chamber is .45" in diameter, then the rear of the chamber has .159 square inches of surface area.

When we apply 20,000 PSI to the .159 square inches, that comes out to 3,180 pounds of force on the back wall of the cylinder. While true, it's also there for only an instant. So impulse is the key here. I don't know anything about calculating impulse.

It's like those Estes rockets as a kid. They develop high thrust but only for an instant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse

I never really understood it.

Steve

Team:
    34th Battalion Virginia Cavalry
    3020V
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maillemaker View Post
    Yeah I guess my answer is not logical.

If there is an internal pressure of 20,000 PSI in the chamber, and the chamber is .45" in diameter, then the rear of the chamber has .159 square inches of surface area.

When we apply 20,000 PSI to the .159 square inches, that comes out to 3,180 pounds of force on the back wall of the cylinder. While true, it's also there for only an instant. So impulse is the key here. I don't know anything about calculating impulse.

It's like those Estes rockets as a kid. They develop high thrust but only for an instant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse

I never really understood it.

Steve
    ​You'll shoot your eye out!!
    Gil Davis Tercenio
    # 3020V
    34th Battalion, Virginia Cavalry
    Great, great grandson of Cpl Elijah S Davis, Co I, 6th Alabama Inf CSA

Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    I think 20k psi is pretty high for a black powder revolver. I am many years separated from any math or physics classes , but I believe you have to consider more than just the area at the rear of the cylinder; the pressure is also being applied to the chamber walls and the surface area of the back side of the ball
    Chris Sweeney

Region:
    I think 20k psi is pretty high for a black powder revolver.
    I just did a quick Google search for black powder chamber pressures. Did not turn up anything really directly useful but found that value and went with it.

I am many years separated from any math or physics classes , but I believe you have to consider more than just the area at the rear of the cylinder; the pressure is also being applied to the chamber walls and the surface area of the back side of the ball
    The pressure is indeed applied uniformly on all walls of any pressure vessel, but the pounds in any one direction can be easily found by applying the pounds per square inch over the square inches in the direction of interest. This is how hydraulic cylinders apply pressure. But, they are essentially constant-force devices.

Steve

Region:
    I'm not sure what the pressure is, but for the one you picked, the force is correct. But I think impulse is more where you need to look. That force acts on the ball for a VERY short amount of time compared to the amount of time recoil is working on the gun and your hand. It's spreading it out over a longer amount of time and that is why you're not getting broken bones. There was a time when I could probably have figured it out, but it's been a long time since Physics class for me too.

Team:
    Tammany Regiment, 42nd New York
    Region:
    New England - New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts
    Hello:

In the mid-late '70's, Ken Ramage edited two LYMAN blackpowder "manuals" that contained articles written by bp shooting experts. In the back of one were ballistics tables that included pressures measured in LUP's (Lead Units of Pressure), in a Modern Bond Pressure rig. Photo's of that rig and a description of its operation were included. LUP's were used, as they are for shotguns, because of the relatively lower pressures that would not register well in "CUP's, copper units of pressure.

I gave my copy away and have not seen one lately. Pity.
    It had velocities, pressures, trajectories and foot pounds of impact force.

Maybe someone has a copy and can share the handgun portion of those tables.
    Cannot find it used or via Google, either.

Kevin Tinny
    13667, 42 NY