Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a Garrett 1863 Sharps?

Region:
    Carolina - North Carolina and South Carolina

Is this a Garrett 1863 Sharps?

I received a percussion 1863 Sharps Carbine today that I was told was a Garrett Sharps. There are no Garrett markings at all. Would you please take a look at the photos I just posted on my web site and let me know what you think. The photo below is of markings on the barrel and it looks like someone tried to erase the word "Pedersoli".

Maybe it is a Garrett - Did Pedersoli make some of them for him?

More photos here: http://www.autochart.com/1863sharps.htm

Thanks in advance -
    Orin

Name:  Markings3.JPG
Views: 1638
Size:  143.8 KB
    Last edited by 762x51; 04-06-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

Region:
    The date code "BB" = 1992 and without question the rifle was made by Pedersoli 5 or so years after Garrett went out of business.

It's interesting that the lock has a Lawrence Pellet Primer on it and the serial number on the Lock matches the frame and barrel.

Name:  Markings1.JPG
Views: 1266
Size:  175.7 KB
    Last edited by 762x51; 04-06-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words and made corrections
    "It is well that war is so terrible lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA

G-Grandfather 2nd Lt Charles A. Miller, Company G, 42nd Regiment, North Carolina Infantry

G-G Grandfather Sgt David A. Ray, Enlisted: Company D, North Carolina 30th Infantry Regiment on 10 Aug 1861, Mustered Out: 9 April 1865

G-Grandfather Pvt R A Harding, Enlisted in Company K, New Hampshire 1st Heavy Artillery Regiment on 17 Sep 1864, Mustered out on 15 Jun 1865 in Washington, DC

John Holland is offline Moderator
    Team:
    44th NY Volunteer Infantry
    00973V
    Region:
    Northeast- New York
    It seems as if you have pretty much answered your own questions, and I agree with your conclusions.

Team:
    21st Virginia Infantry - Maryland Guard
    12085V
    Region:
    Chesapeake - Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio
    How many L&Gs in the barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Visitor
    I bought my Garret Sharps in the fall of 1985 or 1986 and was one of the last one's made. The date on it is AN 1985. it also has a patch box on the right side of the stock I don't know if they all had patch box's or not. But the stock is made from a nice piece of walnut not the light colored wood that yours is. The side plate has Garret stamped on it and there is a cartouche on the left side under the saddle ring with Garret's initials. I don't think what you have is a Garret. The lock may be but the rest is something else. I may be wrong but I don't think Pedersoli made any for Garret. But as far as I know Garrets are the only repro's with a working pellet priming system.
    Ron S.
    Formerly 6587V
    NRA Benefactor-Life
    Of all the things that I have lost it's my mind I miss the most.
    Great Grandson of William Gibson ( Canal boat builder ) ( 1862 Militia South Mountain )
    ( Co. C 116 Infantry, 106th Pennsylvania Regiment, Gettysburg
    Rev.22:20 - 1 Thessalonians 4: 16-17 The Best Is yet To Come

Region:
    Deep South - Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi and Texas
    I don't know what you paid for it, and it certainly isn't a complete Garret based on that Pedersoli barrel, but it doesn't look like a terrible put-together. Looks like you have a Garret receiver (based on the functioning pellet primer and the case hardened block) married to a Pedersoli barrel and furniture. I think the authentic-style receiver is cool and Pedersoli makes decent stuff. So I guess all I'm saying is that while it may not be a true Garrett it still looks like a nice find to me, depending on what you paid for it, of course.

Steve

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    A number of years ago I was at the Antique Arms Show in Timonium, MD mulling over an "As New" Garrett that didn't look quite right. Fortunately, at the time, Frank was a Vendor. I asked him if he would look at this carbine at tell me if it was right and true. While I have seen differently on this board, Frank at the time told me that the Palmetto tooling was sold to Pedersoli. Would seem to make sense since the Pedersolis that I have seen have the same 6 groove right barrels and not 3 groove like the IAB. He also told me that the carbines with his cartouche on the left side were ones that he personally approved and that there were never any of his with 5 digit serial numbers. However, he did say that there were some out there that were produced after his contract with Palmetto ended. While it may not be a "true and right" Garrett, it may not be the intentional scam you think that it is. Take this FWIW. I wasn't part of the N-SSA during the time they were being produced and can only go with what he told me.
    Last edited by P.Altland; 04-04-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Region:
    Hi Paul,

The lock plate may have been one that was bought from whoever was selling off the left over parts when Garrett went out of the "Sharps" business.

Point is, this is not a "true" Garrett carbine. Larry Flees has sent me some photos of his Garrett Carbine and I will be posting his photos and photos of mine side by side on my web site later and you'll be able to see the difference between the two.

Orin
    Last edited by 762x51; 04-06-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removing all unnecessary words and made corrections

Team:
    12085V
    Region:
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x51 View Post
    Hi Paul,

I would agree that this was an upfront sale if I hadn't been told, in a phone conversation, that the carbine had been "defarbed".
    If you look at the photos you'll see that this carbine hasn't been "defarbed" and the proof marks are still on the receiver.
    The lock plate may have been one that was bought from whoever was selling off the left over parts when Garrett went out of the "Sharps" business.

Point is, this is not a "true" Garrett carbine. Larry Flees has sent me some photos of his Garrett Carbine and I will be posting his photos and photos of mine side by side on my web site later today and you'll be able to see the difference between the two.

Orin
    I'm aware of what the Garretts look like as I own and shoot a Carbine in 6 right and a Carbine in 7 left. What i'm saying is that, if what Frank Garrett told me at the time is accurate, your carbine could (stress could) be one of those assembled after the tooling left Palmetto. Again, while maybe not a Palmetto Arms Garrett, it may have been produced with the same tooling and left over parts at a factory and not somebody's basement. Unfortunately Frank is no longer around to ask.
    Paul Altland
    21st Va. Md Guard Co. B

Team:
    Visitor (non-N-SSA Member)
    N/A
    Region:
    Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by P.Altland View Post
    I'm aware of what the Garretts look like as I own and shoot a Carbine in 6 right and a Carbine in 7 left. What i'm saying is that, if what Frank Garrett told me at the time is accurate, your carbine could (stress could) be one of those assembled after the tooling left Palmetto. Again, while maybe not a Palmetto Arms Garrett, it may have been produced with the same tooling and left over parts at a factory and not somebody's basement. Unfortunately Frank is no longer around to ask.
    Could be, but either way it appears the seller was up to something by trying to remove the Pedersoli logo. I'm curious as to whether or not he claimed to be the original owner. Also, how does it function-lock up of the breech block to chamber face, lock/trigger function, etc.?
    Last edited by gemmer; 04-04-2018 at 01:12 PM.